Saturday, August 7, 2004

Common Ground

Those of you who still have not checked out Nick's Daily News, here is my last reminder to you, it is worth your time. Today I was pleasantly surprised by a post by Mr. Speth on his website and would like to share with you that as well as my response to him. Mr. Speth, like the majority of my closest friends, is conservative, intellectual, and very polite. I was very impressed by the way in which he handled my anonymous post and would recommend to all of you that you follow his example. We often get caught up in the "game" and forget that despite the party we choose, with the help of our friends, we can find common ground.

Nick Speth said...
Thanks, my anonymous friend. I'm not insulted, at least by you. I have to say that I wasn't a "supporter" of Michael Moore, I merely accepted his opinions as those of a well-meaning person. If you take that as "support" than, well okay. Now I've come to question that.At any course you and I agree that those that disagree with us can still be patriotic. I've learned and I think that we can also agree that, despite all the partisan rhetoric on both sides, we all share the same values. We just disagree on the priorities and to a lesser extent the degrees.On the subject of Gun control, for instance, I said that we all can agree that keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and of children is something we all want. The disagreement on the subject of gun control comes from balancing a right to bear arms with this well-meant desire.The abortion debate is another one. Those on the side called "pro-choice" are committed to keeping a womans right to dictate what happens with her body, a right I respect. Those who are "pro-life" usually respect that right, but feel it is eclipsed by the right to life of the unborn.Of course there are wackos on both sides, but our political system requires compromise; that's its beauty. I don't think you're one, and it seems that you don't think I'm one. I'm greatful. Really though, I'm not sure that Michael Moore isn't one anymore. Again, we'll just have to agree to disagree and vote our conscience.It's been an enlightening debate. Drop by again and if you have a site at all let me know. I'd love to read some of your work.

Tara Rowe said...
Thank you for your fine website. It is a truth universal that Republicans and Democrats differ in belief, but I find the common ground much more of interest than the mudslinging. I look at Orrin Hatch and Ted Kennedy and see what good friends they are despite the isle that seperates them. Like them, we of different beliefs can still be cohorts in the attempt to educate and seek middle ground.Of course there will always be the difference between pro-choice and pro-life, the difference between a card carrying member of the NRA and a citizen trying to keep assault weapons off the streets, but the optimist in every American should see that together we can do more than debate these issues. Together we can support troops in a war we may or may not agree with by remembering what sacrifices each soldier makes. Together there is so much more we can do than if we right-winged or left-winged fly seperatley. That is what true patriotism is. Patriotism is the common ground.I appreciate your cordial demeanor and patience with my antics. In the political world there is a spectrum of people. There is the far-right and the far-left, neither of which I think you or I subscribe, we aren't fence sitters, but we have one thing in common...dedication. I'm glad to be in your company. Keep up the good work!

Now that I've spent the week on this topic, I'll be moving on. I promise to post something good very soon. Keep reading and please give it a chance... check out Nick's Daily News!

1 comment:

Nick Speth said...

Thanks for the advertising and thanks for taking part in one of the most enlightening conversations I've had online. I'm afraid you caught me on a bit of a rant, but I'm glad we were able to find common ground. I'll be checking in on your site a lot.

A parting comment on Moore: Truthfully, my favorite Michael Moore movie is... "Canadian Bacon;" you know with Alan "Hawkeye from M*A*S*H" Alda and John Candy. Canadian Bacon was John Candy's last film before his untimely death, by the way. A lot of people don't know that Moore was involved with that film, so I thought I'd recommend it to your readers.

Thanks again.