Saturday, September 18, 2004

Goodbye Barbara...

Looking back over my nineteen years, there are only a few years unaccounted for; unaccounted for in that I didn't watch 20/20 every Friday night. When I was a kid, living with my grandparents, it was a Friday night ritual to sit down and watch Hugh Downs and Barbara Walters on 20/20. It was a ritual that has followed me from those early days until last night as Barbara departed.

I've watched Barbara interview Fidel Castro, both George W. and George H.W. Bush, Katherine Hepburn, Hillary Clinton, O.J. Simpson, the parents of Jon Benet Ramsey, the parents of Elizabeth Smart, my favorite Christopher Reeve...and the list goes on.

When Hugh Downs left I realized that the news show I'd grown up with would not be around forever, nor would the two anchors I've watched since I was old enough to remember. Last night was a surreal moment for me and I hope many others across the country. Of course 20/20 will stay on the air for years to come, but it will never be the same. Perhaps it is the end of an era.

Okay, so this isn't one of my typical posts, but in Barbara Walters we've seen the good and the bad of politics. From Monica to Hillary, Reagen to John Hinkley, Fidel Castro to the great Lady Thatcher... Barbara has introduced my generation to leaders of nations, celebrities, and men who have by a few gunshots changed the world.

I look forward to Walter's specials and occasionally catching "The View," but never will she have the same impact on the audience as she did with 20/20. Thank you Barbara Walters for the memories!

No comments :