Saturday, September 11, 2004

The Memory of a Nation

Anniversaries have always annoyed me. It seems absurd to me that seemingly important events we only remember once a year, when in all reality they should remain with us everyday of our lives. The days we are born, the days we die, the day we are married...the day this nation came under attack.

I'm a Kennedy researcher (not yet a historian) and I at least spend a moment every day contemplating Kennedy's life and his death. Something that happened years before I was born, is thought of daily. Something so crucial to my own life now, such as September 11th should also receive such treatment.

I've been rather bitter this week over the third anniversary of the terrorist attacks, because I've felt that we as a nation have essentially forgotten that day. It took a horrific attack on a school in Russia for us to draw comparisons to our own days of uncertainty. It takes a day set apart from all others to remember the lives that were lost on our home soil. Why can we not remember the day worth remembering? Rememberance is not an annual event, but a daily ritual. We remember WWI and WWII on other days than Armistice Day and D-Day, why can't we remember our nation's greatest termoil, on any other day than just the day in which it happened?

When I think of 9/11, it is a religious thing for me. I'm not sure of the reason. Whether it is because of the Muslim terrorists or that day I started questioning a much higher power, but whatever the reason I hope it is instilled in every American and not just me.

I'm a believer that if we don't accept history and recognize the choices and consequences, the repercussion will be the repetion of mistakes. (That little saying that history repeats itself.) I hope today of all days we know what we are up against and what we've been through in the last three years. If we can't remember the darkest hour of modern history daily, I sure hope each American took a moment to think about it today.

Also, my thoughts go out to the families of the victims, my thanks goes out to Flight 93, my hope is still with the leader of this nation and his advisors, and my faith is with God, that He will continue to bless the United States of America.

1 comment:

Nick Speth said...

Great post, Tara. I've got nothing else to say except thanks.