Friday, September 17, 2004

Methods of Higher Education: II

Contemplating my role as a college student is still a frustrating endeavor and one that I may never gain the upper hand on, but I'm not giving up. I spend the majority of my time on a college campus and gain most of my insight there. Throughout the week I've read Caroline Bird's essay "College is a Waste of Time and Money" several times and I think it really applies to the question at hand...why are we here?

Obviously today was an English day. I find myself most inspired following my Monday, Wednesday, Friday English 102 class. My curiousity grows and I some how end up writing a non-political post. Maybe I need my own blog my English-class inspirations and ideals...no, but it was a nice thought.

Anyway, I think I said enough in the original Methods of Higher Education post, but I wanted to add Bird's essay to my frustrations. (The Bird link in a critique of the essay, followed by the essay itself.)

1 comment:

Nick Speth said...

I'd challenge your assertation that this is not a political post. I mean, we both attend STATE universities. Surely oversight by the state is a necessary thing if it's footing the bill. The question remains, what standards do we hold our public school and state university teachers to? That's a political, policymaking question.