Sunday, September 19, 2004

A Night at the Emmys

Believe it or not this is not a blog created to keep tabs on the entertainment world...it all started with Barbara Walters! Tonight I watched parts of the Emmys and was quite impressed with the lack of politics. I was pleased to see this award show not turn into a medium of political expression. Despite "this time of uncertainty," as Tom Selleck put it, the Emmys were not filled with zealous celebrities trying to push their political ideas on the national audience. (Basically there wasn't a Michael Moore pitch on a "ficticious war" nor were Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins there to sport peace signs.)

The host, Gary Shandling, ended the show by saying "pray for peace," but never was there Bush-bashing and never was Iraq mentioned. Again, I was impressed. Overall the Emmys went well. There were a few surprises, but mostly the anticipated. Kelsey Grammer won for Dr. Frasier Crane, up against the likes of Matt LeBlanc, and the late John Ritter. Despite the untimely death of Ritter I felt the academy was correct in their pick of the "best actor in a comedy series."

The Emmys for me were somewhat inspiring...not inspiring in the way that I want to run right out and become an actor, but inspiring in that I wanted to be something so much greater than what I am. The memorial presented by Selleck of the greats we lost over the last year included Art Carney, Peter Ustinov, Ray Charles, Marlon Brando, Ronald Reagan, John Ritter, and Julia Child...who could dispute what inspiring individuals those are?

Also, I was impressed with Meryl Streep's speech. She wins so many awards that you tend not to listen to her, but this was one of her greatest acceptance speeches I've heard. That woman can either see an awesome script when it is presented to her, or given the number of times she has been nominated for various awards, she must be unbelievable! I was pleased to see James Spader win, his role on "The Practice" makes me want to go out and get a law degree!

Maybe next time for "Joan of Arcadia," way to go Alyson Janney, and overall it seems I'll be renting "Angels in America" soon. Anyway, sorry for such a long post on something so irrelevant to the topic at hand...BUT I just couldn't resist! It was a fine night for television.

No comments :