Friday, September 10, 2004

Public Campaign Financing

As you've previously encountered, I often pull information from the Idaho State Journal for use in my posts, or as aggravation that results in a post. Well... here I am again questioning exactly who allows for these pointless polls and articles to be printed. The ISJ has been running a poll of its readers regarding public campaign financing--for or against. But they fail to inform the public what exactly this means.

Theoretically I feel that public campaign financing should be available through following these methods:

1. Candidate must meet certain requirements to apply for financing
- interval of public service
- membership on a board of directors or school board
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree in a social science related field
- prior interest in political leadership
2. Candidate must fill out an application for financing from a grant or government fund
3. Candidate must respect the opinion of his people if they request his/her resignation

Financially I'm not certain how all of this works, but I am a firm believer in individual political perspective. Each individual has much to offer to a society. Certain individual are politically minded and would greatly benefit the governing body if they could but afford to run for public office. This would help us derail the politicians who have the money, but lack the political appeal (present Kennedys, John Kerry, and of the contrary to politicians, Ross Perot and Ralph Nader).

Hopefully this makes sense and isn't one of my many rants. I find the ISJ frustrating in that they state an opinion or offer a poll with results, with out educating the readers on the issues.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Yes, it makes perfect sense, and I have to agree with you. I'm a bit of an idealist, and I think it would be great if the people who actually experience life at the working class level - those who are most affected by political decisions - could be the ones who affect those decisions.