Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Moore's Mockery

Having the opportunity to watch Fahrenheit 9/11 less than a week before the election, I threw my election rules out the window last night. I don't generally believe anything that comes out the week before an election--I won't listen to it. I don't do a lot of deep digging in the last week either. BUT...since Fahrenheit came out months ago, I let this one slide.

I once got in an argument with Nick Speth about Michael Moore, the week I became a blogger, and I'm not sure who won. I was quick to express my complete support of Bowling For Columbine, but hadn't seen Fahrenheit then to have an opinion. Now I have an opinion...random and pointless but the points that stood out for me the most:

  • 1.4 billion dollars went to Bush and friends in three decades from who? The Saudi Royal family. There's an interesting connection. Something seems wrong to me about accepting this kind of cash. (Especially with the Saudi connection to Bin Laden.)
  • How can you support the outcome and suggestions of the 9/11 Commission (I almost typed Warren Commission...I'm a nerd) if you never in the first place supported the creation of the commission. Bush opposed the creation of the now infamous 9/11 Commission.
  • When every plane in the United States was grounded (I got a good laugh out of the fact that stupid Ricky Martin was grounded) why can the president of the United States pull the strings necessary to get the Bin Laden family out of the U.S.? That's simply ridiculous.
  • The connections with the Carlyle group, Bush's former company affiliate, Halliburton, and the Saudi Royal family (as well as the Taliban) were incredible. I'll have to look some more into this, but I'm certainly not going to disregard Michael Moore, he tends to dig deep.
  • I'm not questioning Michael Moore's patriotism. He was just as confused by the 2000 election and Florida as every American. Sure he is anti-Bush but I'd nearly bet close to half the country is, what makes him any different?
  • Off the subject...I didn't realize that it was Ashcroft lost to a dead man. The late incumbent, Carnahan, beat Ashcroft in the congressional race. So what did W do? He made him the Attorney General. Smooth.

Okay so enough about the Bush-bashing, I was impressed that Kerry's name was never mentioned, nor was 9/11 overly publicized. It didn't need to be. I honestly thought the facts spoke for themselves. Moore's Orwellian reflection at the end was not needed, I almost thought he was pulling a "Kerry, shoot yourself in the foot" moment off. Overall I was quite impressed, felt that the hype over Fahrenhiet was stupid and the film was overrated, but it certainly beat the last movie I watched. Oh and the addition of R.E.M.'s "Shiny Happy People" was great!


2 comments:

Nick Speth said...

Although I can't really comment on any of the other points yet, I do want to comment on the bin Laden family one. The bin Laden family has disowned their son, and condemn him. He's a fugitive in Saudi Arabia without citizenship, the royal family revoked that.

Yet some of the bin Laden's were in Texas on 9/11 and yes they were given clearance to fly out.........

.......by Richard Clarke, the man Moore got half of his information from. Clarke has emerged as one of Bush's biggest critics. How'd Moore miss that?

Nick Speth said...

p.s. it would beat the last movie I saw too, of course the last movie I saw was "the Grudge"

DON'T SEE THE GRUDGE! It stinks.