Sunday, October 10, 2004

Ode to October

Whoever thought up the baseball schedule should have taken a moment to consider that we are now in the thick of the election---It is the time of year that I love the most, no holiday stress, and lots of baseball! Every October I get incredibly antsy and some how watch more television in one month than the rest of the year combined. This October is especially chaotic with the presidential debates and the election in 23 days.

I thought I would post on the 2nd presidential debate, but the uncivilized nature of it all and the fact that it was so much reminiscent of the first debate, in regard to foreign policy. If Kerry would give up that Global Test business he might have a better chance of winning this thing and if Bush could quit saying "You can run, but you can't hide," I might feel as if we had mature leadership in the White House. Hopefully Wednesday's debate will be much more informative on domestic policy. I want to know more about what the plans are for No Child Left Behind as well as how these two think they can cut the defecit in half.

Last night I was watching the Kennedy-Nixon debates on CSPAN and was amzed at how much more civil they were to each other (and the moderator) compared to Kerry and Bush. Nixon and Kennedy hated each other...Nixon was quoted as once saying that he never "considered attempting suicide" until the thought crossed his mind that he could "wake up one day, look in the mirror, and see Jack Kennedy staring back" at him. Yet he held a civilized demeanor in debate.

That was one thing I was happy about while watching the debate Friday night---Kerry only mentioned Kennedy's name once and in that case Kennedy was in a categorized group. John Kerry is no John Kennedy. End of story. But...Mr. Bush seemed to have a little trouble with keeping the names Kennedy and Kerry straight when he started tossing around the "L" word!

As non-political as baseball may be, I don't think I will make it much longer without writing a little post about the playoffs. I've refrained from spouting off about the Yankees who I absolutley despise. I was telling Nick that if it is unAmerican to hate the Yankees then I am as unAmerican as they get. Go Boston! (The Braves play tomorrow and if they lose they are out of the playoffs so I've got my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed at this point.)

There is so much going on in the world with the elections in Afghanistan, the funeral for Lori Hacking, the suicide bombings that you see on the news every night, and the ordeal Tony Blair is now facing, that is nearly impossible for me to keep up with it all...and this week is midterms. I'll do my best, but if you don't hear from me in a few days please understand. Have a great week!

No comments :