Tuesday, November 2, 2004

Election 2004

Last minute thoughts, key races, and a day that could possibly change the world...or at least U.S. foreign relations. I have a few last minute comments before we each set out to vote today--

First and foremost I must make my final push for Sen. Bert Marley. All over Idaho the Marley/Frasure race is being closely watched. "The Marley, Frasure race is highlighted all over the state. You've got two proven war horses with proven track records. Both of them have won repeatedly, and they're tough" (Kent Kunz-Bannock County Republican Party Chair). Both are strong politicians-- but Marley is clearly the better choice. Serving on JFAC, Marley has continued to battle for ISU funding. He has strong values and understands the ethics that should not be lost in the political process. It's frustrating that the area most influenced by Marley doesn't have the chance to vote for him. ISU lies in District 30, Marley is running in District 29...Nonetheless he is the strong choice for state senate.

For my lovely English 102 class, Dr. Walter assigned "The Declaration of
Independence" for reading homework. Honestly, I rolled my eyes, but her timing couldn't have been more perfect. As I sat reading it last night and the night before (both the original draft and the final copy) I came across some interesting statements:


"He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with
manly firmness his invasions on the rights of people."


"He has erected a multitude of New Offices and sent hither swarms of officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance."

"He has combined with others to subject us to jurisdiction foreign to our
constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws."


Funny how the words once used to establish reason for revolution and independence resemble the actions of our current president and his policies. (The second statement made me think of the Dept. of Homeland Security) "A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."

Enough said. It wasn't Fahrenheit 9/11, Swiftboat Veterans for Truth, or The 9/11 Commission Report that changed my mind...it was The Declaration of Independence. Go figure. That's the power of English 102!
Get out and vote.

3 comments:

Nick Speth said...

Come on. As to the first statement, I never saw George W Bush disolve the Senate or House. Not once. It seems to me that I'm voting for a Senator and a Representative this election. If he'd tried, I'd be the first to string him up. No, what he did was critisize the Senate, which is quite different and protected under the first amendment.

As to the second quote, let's be clear. This had to do with mandatory housing of government workers in private homes. And the department of homeland security only ran into one major piece of contention, whether the new federal employees would have the type of "employed for life" status that other government employees have. If that had happened, the Department of Homeland Security would have been forced to keep ineffectual workers around, and never been able to easily reduce it's size. Guess who wanted that in there... the democrats.

The third quote is the most unfounded of all "He has combined with others to subject us to jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws." Hold on, let me put on the ol' "sarcastic boots." Do you mean jurisdiction like the UN? The US constitution grants congress the right to declare war, and names the President the commander in chief, nowhere does it say that we have to defer to other countries no matter how much Kofi wants us to. Ooh or maybe you mean jurisdiction in the Reichstag in Berlin, or Chirac's government in Paris. No, wait, that's what Kerry wants to do.

I don't even know how the third quote is relevant, unless you mean that the majority of Americans don't like BUSH's jurisdiction. But that's why we have elections, if he loses than he'll step down, if not, he won't. See in England the king was the king for life, and if the people didn't like it... well tough, he's the king.

No. President George isn't an awful lot like King George.

Tara A. Rowe said...

It's a good thing that I didn't sleep last night, I'm giddy--to the point of floating, and I like you Nick Speth or I could be a little bent out of shape. Maybe later I could be bent out of shape...but until then I'll have to come up with a well-founded comment.

Nick Speth said...

No offense intended. Please don't take my first quote the wrong way. I understand that in a very abstract way you might make that connection, but I don't see whatever real or perceived violations of the Bush administration as equaling those of George's Britain in the eighteenth century.

The first batch of exit polls looked good for Kerry, so maybe I am a bit testy, but I keep telling myself that the first exit poll was 59% women, which is bound to come down to more 50-50.