Friday, November 26, 2004

The Nightly News

With the announcement of Dan Rather's resignation at CBS News and tonight's special on the departure of Tom Brokaw from NBC News, I felt it was only appropriate to take a moment to remark on the ever present influence of the media, particularly the voice of the anchor, in our homes and in our lives.

The rivalry is quite intense when you think about it. At one network you have Peter Jennings, the only voice I remember hearing on 9/11. On CBS you have Rather who most recently became known for the Rathergate scandal, but who is also known for his hot-headed antics. Then you have Tom Brokaw, who seems to be the level head in it all. The voice we remember most in presidential election years. These men have been in on everything since the Kennedy assassination. But in it all they've been very gracious. Rather said he'd wait for the big hoopla for his departure..."Next week should be Tom's week." Despite their differences, I think it's safe to say that Jennings, Brokaw, and Rather hold each other in the highest respect.

And for what it's worth, Walter Cronkite, the anchor of all anchors in my book, thinks the trio have brought in more viewers and again placed importance on the trust of the American people (...maybe we could omit Rather from that one). To receive kudos from Cronkite is like the holy grail of journalism. The nightly news will surely miss Rather and Brokaw...as will I. Jennings has to step up to the plate and the replacements will have some pretty big shoes to fill themselves.

2 comments:

Nick Speth said...

Everything seems to happen to Dan. "Kenneth, what's the frequency?" was an odd episode. He was knocked over at the Democratic National Convention in 1968. He got in a shouting match with George Bush. As liberal as Dan is, he does have a very conservative view of guns. Check this quote out,

"I stepped out of the bedroom on the second floor and shouted into the darkness, 'I don't know who you are or what you want, but if you don't get the hell out of here I'm going to blow your ass off. And if you don't believe me, listen to this.'

"With that I rammed a shell into the chamber of a shotgun. There is no mistaking that sound. Within seconds the intruders, or whatever they were, had fled."

A true Texan. And I say there's a liberal media bias... well there is.

Anyway, as to Cronkite, I think he was great, but he's become a bit kooky lately. After the Bin Laden video surfaced in the days before the election, Cronkite famously speculated to Larry King that the whole thing was set up by Satan's brother Karl Rove. Here's the transcript:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0410/29/lkl.01.html

I've got a suggestion for Rather's replacement: Brit Hume! I'll keep dreaming.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Dan Rather certainly has had some strange moments in the limelight. And Cronkite...he's gotta be pushing 90 by now. I think he is it, when it comes to journalism, he's the one. But I agree, of late he's kind of been off his rocker. I'd almost become a journalist because of that man.