Sunday, December 26, 2004

A Non-Political Review Day

I'm taking a break from the political scene, trying something different, and sharing three reviews with you. Don't worry though...I'm working on something about Iraq, with the help of Molly Ivins' insight, and working on a tribute to departing senators. But for today we all need a little "fluff" with Christmas over and a new week sneaking up on us.

The Shawshank Redemption--

I LOVE Morgan Freeman! He is my all-time favorite. Yet, I'd never seen Shawshank, but had heard wonderful things about it. So I rented it from Great American last week, had to make a trip back to have the tape repaired, and successfully watched the entire film yesterday. At first I was concerned that it would be "just another prison movie," and was hoping it would not be in any way like A Clockwork Orange. It was neither. It was a good 'ole story of corruption at high levels. The kind of corruption that makes you think seriously about our prison system and criminal behavior at large. That and I'm a sucker for a happy ending! AS Cory says, I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone due to the language, but if that type of thing doesn't bother you, it is a great film. It's now on the top of my Favorite Morgan Movie List!


Ray Charles: Genius Loves Company--

Genius is truly the only word to describe Ray Charles. Simple as that. If you don't already own a Ray Charles album or have not yet heard his music, this CD would be a great start. The CD consists of duets with some of my favorite artists...B.B. King, James Taylor, Elton John. It doesn't get any better than this! Ray Charles gave his best ALWAYS and this album is no exception. A true genius. A true masterpiece. A true musician.


Howie Day: Stop All The World Now--

I don't particularly like to contribute to the success of artists who sky rocket to fame because of extended play time for one hit, but for this CD I made an exception. You've all probably heard "Collide" on the radio lately. On one trip to Burley (approx. I hour) I head "Collide" four times on one station. Though I certainly didn't purchase the CD for one song only, it was a selling point. Howie Day has this smooth and reflective tone, sort of a pop version of early Bruce Springsteen. If you like pop music and haven't already heard Day's music this CD would be a "sound" investment!

2 comments:

Nick Speth said...

I loved Shawshank as well, one of the best film versions of a Steven King story ever (most of them are just awful). Tim Robbins is good in it too.

Was Genius Loves Company a posthumous work? Though I don't argue the distinction, it seems odd to label yourself a "genius" in the title of your record. Maybe he was humbly referring to the other singers.

Howie Day? I honestly haven't heard "Collide" because I don't watch a lot of MTV anymore, nor do I listen to the radio (the Mp3 CD player plays on CD for like, a day). What genre is Day? I'll check it out.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I'd probably say Day is pop. Not sure. I'm not a huge Tim Robbins fan so I was pleasantly surprised by his performance in Shawshank. The Genius Loves Company album was recorded before Ray died, he actually hadn't finished it prior to his death, and then it was thrown together and put out on the shelves. He certainly didn't name it Genius, probably his producer.