Wednesday, February 23, 2005

100 Posts and Counting

Despite what my Blogger profile says and assuming that my computations are correct, this is the 100th post of The Political Game! Though I'm currently working on a little analysis of the state Democrats, a post on the proposed Bush agenda in regard to Social Security, and an interesting observation on Palestine, today for this momentous occasion, I'll comment on...yes, Kennedy.

Today as we dove head first into a discussion about Lyndon Johnson in my Vietnam War class I realized two things, 1) I have never been impressed with LBJ or Texas politicians and 2) Kennedy left behind some pretty big shoes to fill. Realizing my bias, I will not elaborate on the successes of the Kennedy administration, nor will I comment on the failures (yes, there were many), but I will say that no man could have taken office after Kennedy's assassination and matched his foreign policy. Kennedy was the creator of "flexible response," the only firm-standing man in the room when it came to the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the only man willing to take full responsibility for the failure in the Bay of Pigs.

I always say that I'd hope I was smart enough to vote for Reagan after realizing that despite his amazing heart Carter was a horrible president and that I would not have voted for Johnson. Of course I have the bonus of hindsight and it is 20/20.

Today in class wasn't the first time, but one of many times that I have wondered how different the world would be had a loser in life, with a $12 rifle, not brought an end to Camelot. I've been to Boston where overcoming great illness, a child became a man, to D.C. where that man became an American leader, and to Dallas where it all ended and not once have I thought: 'This was just an ordinary man.'

In 100 posts, I've commented on Kennedy only a few times, but in a 100 posts, those comments were my favorite.

4 comments:

OXEN said...

You ever heard the theory that LBJ was behind JKF's assassination?

I'm serious.

OXEN said...

Blood, Money & Power: How L.B.J. Killed J.F.K.Written by Barr McClellan father of Scott McClellan, the now White House Press Secretary.

Tara A. Rowe said...

You'd be amazed at some of the national security procedures that were implemented following Dallas that alienated Mr. Johnson. I've heard the theory, but I'm not buying it. Barr is Scott's dad?!?! I'd never put the two together! That book is messed up to say the least.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Just a quick side-note for the benefit of one of my good friends...in regard to Texas politicians, I have nothing against Ann Richards, but let me just remind you all that Tom DeLay is the "honorable" senator from Texas!