Sunday, February 27, 2005

A Night at the Oscars

I think I've missed something! What movie did the rest of the world see when I was watching Million Dollar Baby? I saw a movie that did not meet my expectations, I saw a movie that allowed three very brilliant actors to blow their potential (except for maybe Swank, its not her fault they killed her off) , and I saw the most poorly written screenplay brought to the screen! What was everyone else watching?!?

Before I say anything let me say this... It's about freakin' time! Easily the most talented actor in the business, Mr. Morgan Freeman has been nominated four times for the coveted Academy Award and tonight he finally won! His role in Million Dollar Baby certainly wasn't my favorite and I'm not sure he deserved the award for that film, but collectively it's a disgrace that the Academy took this long to acknowledge his unbelievable talent, grace, and humility. "The amazing Morgan Freeman," doesn't even begin to do him justice, Ms. Swank. For a kid like me, there's nothing greater than seeing my man Morgan on stage with every person in that audience on their feet!! Nothing, that is, except for Ray Charles.

Jamie Foxx is the man! When I saw Ray for the first time, I didn't need the willing suspension of disbelief, you don't know it is Jamie Foxx...everything screams Ray Charles. The sound, the man, the moves. For every reason he deserved the Oscar and the standing ovation. I've never in my life seen a performance like that! The only thing I can possibly compare it to is Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man and that's saying something. Through Jamie Foxx and Ray, Ray Charles' music is being introduced to a whole new generation and for that I'm thankful-- I just can't spread the word alone!

A comment on the art of the documentary... It just keeps getting better. I don't know what's in the water, but for the last three years I have been amazed! Two years ago it was Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine, last year it was the admirable and insightful Robert McNamara in The Fog of War, and this year came Born into Brothels. They just keep getting better!

"I'm just a kid." Well, I hate to break it to you Mr. Eastwood, but you're no spring chicken! Tonight Clint Eastwood won for best director in a category of brilliance. For every reason Martin Scorsese deserved it, but for every reason that I don't understand Clint Eastwood reigns again. If nothing else the only thing good to come out of Million Dollar Baby, was Swank's speech to Eastwood. My Macushla: the only thing good in the entire movie!

A few last comments... Cate Blanchett portrayed Kathryn Hepburn as no one but Ms. Kate herself has. A well-deserved Oscar for her though I was pulling for Virginia Madsen. A shout-out to the first Spanish nominated best song and winner. And last but certainly not least a great choice for the honorary Oscar-- Sidney Lumet. 12 Angry Men and Murder on the Orient Express are two of my favorite films. Not a bad night for Oscar or a bad night given the fact that Chris Rock was the host and Meryl was nowhere to be found!

2005 Oscar Winners:
Best Picture: Million Dollar Baby
Best Director: Clint Eastwood
Best Actor: Jamie Foxx
Best Actress: Hillary Swank
Best Supporting Actor: Morgan Freeman
Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett

4 comments:

Nick Speth said...

This is why I don't watch the Oscars.

Now, I haven't seen any of these films. I don't make the theaters often, and I STILL haven't seen Ray, though it's been on the top of my list for all but a day of the last month.

Unfortunately, the day it wasn't on top of my list was the day I rented a movie, so I watched "Rounders." It was awesome, but I still need too see Ray.

But I haven't said heard anything bad about Foxx's performance by anyone, so it must have been great. I've heard a lot bad about Baby. I've heard a lot good too, but a lot of bad.

Nick Speth said...

p.s. in regards to your poll in "Presidential Leadership: Rating the Best and thw Worst in the White House" most scholars rate the "Best Presidents"

1 Washington
2 Lincoln
3 FDR
4 Jefferson
5 Teddy Roosevelt
6 Jackson
7 Truman
8 Reagan
9 Eisenhower
10 Polk (The only one-termer in the top ten)

I almost hate to bring this up, but I will.

Of 78 scholars surveyed here's the ranking of the most "overrated presidents." Presidents whom the most scholars designated "overrated." I'm sure you'll find fault with this, Tara.

1 John F Kennedy (oooh)
2 Ronald Reagan (ooh back at me)
3 Woodrow Wilson
4 (2 tied)

Yeah. The really wierd thing is Reagan was 2nd on the "overrated" chart, and first on the "underrated" chart.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I'd include Kennedy in the overrated, that's sttrange that Polk made the first list, but I saw something in the paper the other day that was I think a CNN/Gallup poll and Washington made number 6. I guess that tells you the difference between historians and the general public.

My vote is still going to Wilson.

And if you couldn't tell, I'm a sucker for awards shows and the Oscars are my favorite, even if they nominate movies that I hate!

Nick Speth said...

Polk was the man who created an America that stretched "from sea to shining sea." Although after he left office, he couldn't be elected trash collector, his legacy can't be denied.