Sunday, April 17, 2005

Golf and a Sinus Infection

My apologies for an entire week off from the blogging world. I've been feeling a bit under the weather for the last several days and school is just crazy. We've hit that point in the semester where it is sink or swim. For the next four weeks I'll be pretty busy with papers and whatnot, but I will try and post as time permits.

The other day in my Vietnam War class we were watching a film about the Tet Offensive and it was showing President Johnson playing golf in the United States as the events were unfolding in Southeast Asia. I thought that was interesting as in Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 President Bush is playing golf (I believe he is asking someone, presumably of the press corp, to "watch this drive"). I was wondering what it is about American presidents that leads them to the green when the world is otherwise chaotic. Kennedy played golf occasionally during the Bay of Pigs ordeal. Kennedy, with back problems, and much weighing on his mind, played golf. Odd.

I'm not a golfer so maybe that is why I don't understand it. I once went golfing and was pretty bad at it. I went with Sen. Marley, who was my bishop at the time, and he said I could hit straight, but never short. Putting just wasn't my idea of a good time. Baseball...now there's a real sport!

Anyway, sorry for the random post today, like I said I'm a bit under the weather and haven't paid much attention to the news lately. All there seems to be is Michael Jackson, the unethical pursuits of Mr. Tom DeLay, and that no good Yankee, Sheffield. Slow news week I guess.

1 comment:

Nick Speth said...

As a recovering golfer, I can tell you a little about this. Golf is an addiction in some ways, you get to feeling like you need it. But if you're spending most of your money on it, and then simply cussing at your poor play, you eventually realize that you DON'T need it. I left my ball on the 5th fairway, and walked away from the game forever two years ago.

p.s. in Wendover Nevada (I was just there) they're paying even money on the Yankees to win the series, and a little worse than even money (I think 9/5) on them winning the AL Pennant. Boo!