Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The Pope, a President, and a Day in History

I'm still not feeling on top of my game, so this may be a short little post. I just wanted to announce the decision in the Vatican today. Yes, they have chosen a new pope. Pope Benedict XVI will be Pope John Paul II's successor. He is German and seventy-eight years old. I don't know too much about him yet, but hopefully when I'm feeling better I'll be able to post more important details on the matter.

Also, today is the 10th anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing. I always find it so strange that there are "anniversaries" for such tragic days in the history of this nation. But, I am surprised that it has been ten years. I was in the fourth grade that year. I, an aspiring short story writer at the time, wrote a little story about the children who went home that night without their parents. I don't have that story now, but I thought about it often in the days following 9/11.

I watched President Bush earlier this week speak at the dedication of the Lincoln library and museum. Today I watched President Clinton speak at the First Methodist Church in Oklahoma City (on CSPAN of course). What vast differences there are in those two men.

That year was very strange, the year I ended 4th grade and began 5th. Both personally and nationally. That year brought the O.J. Simpson trial, the bombing of the federal building in Oklahoma City, and the drowning of two small children by their mother, Susan Smith. There are times in this nation's history when you can't help but wonder how this nation, as civilized and prosperous as it is, can see such evil and tragedy.

I never cease to be amazed by this nation.

No comments :