Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Deep Throat Revealed...Is This For Real?

W. Mark Felt was the third highest official in the FBI at the time of Watergate. James Mann, who had worked at the Washington Post at the time of Watergate and was close to the investigation, brought a great deal of evidence together in a 1992 article that fingered Felt and convinced many. He argued that the information Deep Throat gave Woodward could only have come from FBI files In previous unrelated articles Bob Woodward of The Washington Post had made clear he had a highly placed source at the FBI and there is some evidence he was friends with Felt. Some suspected at that time that Woodward might be asking Felt if he could reveal him to be Deep Throat, though Felt, when asked directly by others, has consistently denied being Deep Throat…that is until today.

I feel like the world has tipped off its axis. I always thought we would never know who Deep Throat really was. I thought it was one of those things Woodward, Bernstein, and Bradlee would take to their graves. This morning I got in my car and I heard that they had revealed Deep Throat, I thought no, they are just doing this for publicity or for some man to gain a little notoriety. Then when I got to school I looked to see if Henry Kissinger had died because I was convinced it was him and I knew that when whomever Deep Throat was actually died Woodward would tell us all. NO! This is the real deal. Mark Felt, now 91, and his family announced in a Vanity Fair (what an odd magazine choice) article that he is indeed Deep Throat and Bob Woodward confirmed it. I can’t believe it!

Okay…back up the train. Maybe somebody doesn’t know this, but Deep Throat was the Washington Post informant that brought to light the Watergate break-in and the illegal actions of the Nixon administration. For all of these years the men who brought to the public the truth had refused to say who their source was and only they and their editor, Ben Bradlee knew. Today we all know and it’s a bit unsettling.

2 comments:

Nick Speth said...

lol! Yes, the hard-hitting journalistic power of Vanity Fair! But I'm like you; this situation caught me off guard, and I'm unsure what to make of it. I'm kinda sad though. It's one less thing for political junkies to spend their time speculating about.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I was wondering all day...if we aren't worried about Deep Throat anymore, what will we worry about? I guess Jimmy Hoffa is still missing!

Vanity Fair of all things! This is unreal.