Wednesday, May 4, 2005

England, Politicking, and Television

As classes are wrapping up here at Idaho State, I have been thinking a lot about what I have learned. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a post on the essential elements of the semester and maybe an altogether separate post about what I've learned about Vietnam.

Today I just wanted to mention a few things, in England right now there is the race for prime minister. Tony Blair, who is an icon for many Americans, has taken some heat recently from the British for his early decision to support President Bush in the war in Iraq. Blair, previous to the war in Iraq, was someone I watched closely as a rising star in international politics. Of course, my esteem of him is waning as the events in Iraq unfold, but of the British politicians, I think he is one of the most level heads. (Let us all remember the 1963 British scandal) Yesterday there was an article in The Washington Post about leaks that could cost Blair the election. I would recommend it-- it is a quick read.

I've been following closely the farm/ag bill in the United States Senate that is being sponsored by Ted Kennedy and Larry Craig. Larry Craig, for those of you who don't know, is a very conservative senator from Idaho. It boggles my mind his teaming up with Teddy Kennedy, one of the most liberal senators the U.S. Senate has ever seen. Other hot topics in Washington catching my eye from time to time include the ethic questions regarding House Majority Leader Tom DeLay and the changes to immigration and driver's license laws. All of these issues can be seen on the CSPAN website if anyone is interested.

Believe it or not, I'm sometimes a tv junkie. So maybe in the next weeks if I am bored or have extra time on my hands I'll give you a quick wrap up of television programming for the season. Mostly The West Wing, JAG (which ended it's run this season), and Judging Amy. Also television related...on Thursday night Senator Mike Crapo will be on the local access chennel (sponsored by ISU) discussing the difficulties he is facing this congressional session. That would definitely be worth everyone's time and hopefully will settle a few rumors about the senator's health.

No comments :