Saturday, June 11, 2005

Not the Real Post I Promised...

Yes, I still don't have home internet access (Qwest should help this matter on Thursday) and I don't have my fine post written on Oliver Stone, but I just had to comment on Uncle Orson. As most of you know, thanks to my good friend Cory, I've been introduced to Uncle Orson Reviews Everything and absolutely love Orson Scott Card. I've never read a book by the man, I'm not sure I could even name a book by the man, but his reviews are priceless. Every week or so (I say "or so" because sometimes he's off on book signing adventures and the like an leaves me hanging for more than a week) he posts a few reviews. He always amazes me--the things he chooses to post together are nearly comical.

His most recent post groups The Longest Yard, Madagascar, and Sony computers together. What really cracks me up are his reviews of garbage bags, breath mints, and board games! Anyway, the point I was trying to make here...I get distracted...is in his two most recent posts he gives kudos to Jane Fonda (who I would assume by his conservativeness, is a person he would despise), comments on American Idol, and he states bluntly the problem with Adam Sandler movies. His commentary on Idol came after the finale and the win of Carrie Underwood so it was interesting to see his predictions after the fact. It was also interesting to realize how much the guy loved Constantine. And as far as Sandler, I like Adam Sandler--most of the time. I really love Happy Gilmore, I can make it through Mr. Deeds, and The Wedding Singer is great, but occasionally he disappoints me. Little Nicky (which I watched recently), Billy Madison, which happens to be my little brother's favorite movie, and Waterboy kill me. They are so poorly written and Sandler has this bad habit of using talented actors (i.e. Cloris Leachman, Kathy Bates, Bradley Whitford) in roles that should never have been given to them and using his cronies in roles that bring down the overall outcome of the movie. FINALLY SOMEONE GOT THIS RIGHT! Read Orson's review of The Longest Yard and you'll understand what I mean.

Wow! That was about as non-political as they get. Forgive me. Next week, I promise!!!

4 comments:

Nick Speth said...

I agree. Little Nicky was pure torture.

Cory said...

I have to agree about Little Nicky. I noticed you didn't mention Anger Management or Spanglish though, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. As for "Uncle Orson," he's absolutely right about Star Wars Episode III as well - even though the writing and acting sucked, it was hard not to get caught up in and enjoy the movie.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Oh, well I haven't seen Spanglish yet, but I loved Anger Management. I'm a huge Jack Nicholson fan (he'd be close to the top of my list, below Morgan of course). And the scene with the monks and squirt guns is hilarious!

Nick Speth said...

I didn't like Anger Management, but not because of any flaws in the writing or acting, I just hate that kind of humor (the protagonist is constantly made uncomforatble), which is why I also hated Meet the Parents (plus I hate Ben Stiller). Boy am I hateful.

I haven't seen Spanglish yet either. What's it about anyway?