Friday, July 1, 2005

He Walks the Walk

No, this isn't going to be one of those "if he looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, must be a duck" commentaries... I just thought I'd comment tonight on some pretty important men in my life. Ha. Just kidding! I wanted to post about Mark Felt, Jimmy Carter, George Bush, and my little brother. Okay, pretty important men and a few of which are in the news today. See? It's all relative.

Recently in the news is a bit of suspicion surrounding the president-elect of Iran. The AP has reported that president-Elect Mahmoud Ahmadinejad may have played a role in the Iranian-hostage crisis during the administration of Jimmy Carter. Today I heard Jimmy Carter's statement that he can neither support or deny the allegation against Mr. Ahmadinejad and I also heard that President Bush is stepping up an investigation of the guy. Now, realizing that Carter has nothing to either gain or lose in this, I can't give him too much credit, but I think (in my humble opinion) it takes a lot of guts to talk about something that may have ruined your own administration. Also, realizing that President Bush has everything to gain (if this is settled and the truth is revealed) or everything to lose (if this leads him on a path that implies military action in Iran), he stepped up too. With the Middle East in shambles, it takes a lot of guts to say "we'll look into it." To read about this developing story here is a link to Yahoo! News.

Third man of the hour. Bob Woodward's much anticipated novel following the recent revelation of the true identity of Deep Throat is due out next week (published by Simon & Schuster, who also published Woodward's Shadow). The Secret Man, yes, what a creative title, is supposedly Woodward's account of how it all happened, how he and Felt met, and how they brought an end to Nixon through uncovering the scandal that is Watergate. I don't know the motivation behind Felt's revelation and I don't know if this is all a publicity stunt, but it is still worth mentioning that three men (we shouldn't forget Carl Bernstein) risked everything for what they believed was the good of the nation. Maybe you have to understand the dynamic of the J. Edgar Hoover FBI to truly understand the risk Felt took, but you don't have to know much to understand what it took two unknowns at The Washington Post to put it all on the line for a story they believed in. Here is another link, this one to a story by Bob Thompson in the Post.

Last, but certainly not least, let me mention some Little League baseball. My little brother plays in the Bambino league and tonight his team won game 2 of the tournament and successfully cleared the double elimination round. Next week I'm assuming he'll go into the championship after beating a few teams (they're pretty good and I'm not just bragging because he's my kid brother). Anyway, last night he and I were chatting on the phone about the other teams and how he can tell which players are real competition and which are just there. I gave him my "for the love of the game" philosophy (basically, kids who eat, sleep, and play baseball) and he, explaining his rivalry with another team's catcher, said: "he walks the walk."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With a name like Mr. Ahmadinejad
I wouldn't take any chances, sounds too much jihad. We need to fight terrorism and play by the rules they started with. Okay some of us rednecks end sentences with prepositions.