Monday, August 22, 2005

Fall Classes Begin, Specter, & Hagel for President?

**Editor's Note: Please forgive construction on the site. I've been making some color changes and haven't quite tweaked the process. As you can see on some of the posts you can no longer see the time of post or the link to comment. Anyone have any pointers for me?

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself a fool." I've found myself thinking of the immortal words of William Shakespeare often today. Fall classes began today at Idaho State University. You always know the day is coming, but it seems being prepared is pointless. There are all sorts of hoops and surprises. It is simply a waste of time to have even worried about it to begin with. Latin. Elementary Latin. That's where I began my school day. Latin is for foreign language majors, linguistics majors, ethics, philosophy, even English majors, not me. I guess history majors take foreign languages. If I was an ancient history type person. This could be interesting. I also went to U.S. History. My kind of class. Prior to 1865. I guess I need to learn a little something about colonial America. And he is letting me choose to read Thoreau. Anytime an excuse arises to read Thoreau, take it.
________________

Some how I have had much to say about Specter recently. I really have never liked Arlen Specter. It most likely stems from the "magic bullet" theory he has baffled me with for most of my life and has nothing to do with him being a Republican. A few weeks ago with his speech on the Senate floor about stem cell research I think I had a change of heart. And then came the Castro thing. Maybe I'm sympathetic because he's dying.

Last night I was sitting at my computer and on one of my many book shelves I caught sight of Booknotes: Stories from American History. I haven't read that entire book yet and because I have too many books in the first place I really hadn't even seen it around lately, but I pulled it off the shelf and saw Specter's name listed on the cover. So...when I should have been sleeping I read in the Social Transformation chapter I read an interesting article penned by Specter on his work with the Warren Commission. In an excerpt from his book Passion for Truth: From Finding JFK's Single Bullet to Questioning Anita Hill to Impeaching Clinton, Specter states: "I'd like to stem the free fall we've seen in voting and the tremendous skepticism...These are issues that we need to deal with to restore public confidence" (367). Bogus theories aside, Specter has class. I wish more of politicos in Washington had the spine & conscience of that man.
_______________

Over the weekend there was much buzz in the news about a Republican senator publicly stating that Iraq is more and more reflective of the Vietnam War...that wasn't the surprising part, the news said a potential presidential candidate, Chuck Hagel, who has 2 purple hearts from his service in Vietnam, is stating that Iraq is looking like the quagmire in Vietnam.

Is Chuck Hagel really thinking of running for president? Hagel, a Republican senator from Nebraska, said "the longer we stay the more problems we're going to have." I didn't think I'd hear Hagel announce that 'stay-the-course' is not a policy. It's about time some common sense started surfacing in the Senate.

3 comments:

Nick Speth said...

Hagel represents a growing feeling among some of us conservatives. An interesting piece of opinion, and one I agree with mostly, was given by Bill O'Reilly of Fox News when he said, among other things, that Rumsfeld should get the axe.

Here's that link if you want to check it out. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165968,00.html

Nick Speth said...

I should point out that I don't agree with Hagel on most points, but his dissatisfaction with regard to Iraq is something I understand.

Nick Speth said...

Somehow I managed to miss the fact that you endorsed the new Backstreet Boys album. Boooooo!