Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Commander-in-Chief

**Editor's Note: I've been hearing news of the indictment of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, his stepping down from the leadership position to address the indictment, and Roy Blunt taking his place, but I feel I have adequately stated my opinion on the Texas congressman...please see post of May 01, 2005.

Last night I made a huge mistake, not only did I miss one of the most interesting shows on television, House on Fox, I wasted an entire hour (okay I'll admit I even shut it off early I was so disappointed) watching the new ABC political-drama Commander-in-Chief.

As an avid watcher of The West Wing I guess I was expecting that same amount of accuracy, history, and seriousness. As soon as I learned that the dying president's name was Theodore Roosevelt Bridges I knew I was in for an hour of crap.

Basically the storyline is that the president had an aneurysm and dies shortly after surgery, he as well as his chief-of-staff ask Vice President Mackensey Allen (a female and an Independent) to resign so the Speaker of the House can become the next president. He dies and she doesn't resign. Long story short everyone is very uncertain of her clout and ability. She appears confidant and assures the American people in a speech to a joint session of Congress that her leadership is strong and requests the prayers of the nation.

Yada. Yada. Yada. Of the amendments to the Constitution, it is the 25th (the line of succession) that I hold in the highest respect. One of my Republican friends always says to me that he'd lay down his life for the protection of the sacred 2nd amendment. I feel that way about the 25th. I felt that the new ABC show took it too lightly, though Allen understood the implications of the amendment and used it to her advantage I felt the President and Speaker took advantage of it.

All in all it wasn't what I was had anticipated and I will be returning to my Sunday night viewings of The West Wing and my Tuesday night viewing of House. You'd think I would have really been into a female president...no not so much. I did though enjoy one phrase, as the son of the new president was trying to convince his sister to go to the joint session speech and she was refusing due to some squabble she was having with her mother, he said "Have a sense of history." In an hour if there is only one five-word phrase worth a second thought then you know it's time to change the channel!

2 comments:

Nick Speth said...

A lot of Right-wing talk show folks and conspiracy theorists say the show was made to convince the unconvinced that a woman president would be okay (to pave the way for Hillary '08).

Me I think they wanted to sell advertising.

Tara A. Rowe said...

They're gonna need to hire a whole new string of writers if they even want to pave the way for Hillary (or can we say Condie) in 2008.

I guess I've grown too accustomed to the brilliant writing of Tommie Schlame and Aaron Sorkin on The West Wing.