Sunday, October 23, 2005

A Slow Comeback, Songs on Repeat, and Being a Democrat in Idaho

I quit blogging at a moment when I felt all my efforts to explain myself and my views were in vain. I still feel that way, but I know that I need this medium more than anyone needs my explanations. I'd be content writing these posts knowing that no one even reads them, simply because it makes me happy. Since I stopped blogging, Tom DeLay has been booked, Larry Craig has become a racist, and the Chicago White Sox made it to the World Series. Is the world coming to an end? Doubtful, but it does certainly appear to be upside down. And when the world spins upside down I miss knowing that I have this medium in which to vent my frustrations, address my concerns, and be myself. As I've considered what paths to take, what alliances to make, and which causes to abandon in the last several weeks, I've finally reached the conclusion that a slow comeback here in the blogging world is needed, warranted, and the right move on my part. It may just be a few posts on The West Wing for awhile, but something is better than nothing.
________

Before I decided I needed to quit blogging, I had begun a rather odd blog called Songs On Repeat. I loved it. I miss it. Everyday regardless of what is going on in my life I have a song on repeat. This will never change. It may be completely off the wall and unrelated to anything in my life (like "Come Back to Texas" by Bowling 4 Soup) or it may be something so much a part of me that I can't even believe I'm sharing it with another soul, let alone the internet community as a whole (like "Daughter" by Pearl Jam). I agree with Van Morrison "music is spiritual." Music is a part of all of us and hits us each on different levels. Sometimes music is just an escape, a way to redirect our attention, a reason to forget a battle we've been waging. I deleted the Songs on Repeat blog at the suggestion of one of my friends at the University of Idaho because she and I believed and still believe the way I listen to music is intensely personal and no one else's business. So today I'll end that public chapter of my life with the words to a song on repeat right now, (a song that has absolutely nothing to do with anything I'm feeling, other than one line about treating others as they'd like to be treated, I really just like the premise of the song):

Sleeping In

Last week I had the strangest dream
Where everything was exactly how it seemed
Where there was never any mystery of who shot John F. Kennedy
It was just a man with something to prove slightly bored
and severely confused he steadied his rifle with his target in the center
and became famous on that day in November

Don't wake me I plan on sleeping
Don't wake me I plan on sleeping in
Don't wake me I plan on sleeping
Don't wake me I plan on sleeping in

Again last night I had that strange dream
Where everything was exactly how it seemed
Concerns about the world getting warmer people
Thought that they were just being rewarded
For treating others as they'd like to be treated
For obeying stop signs and curing diseases
For mailing letters with the address of the sender
Now we can swim any day in November

Don't wake me I plan on sleeping
Now we can swim any day in November
Don't wake me I plan on sleeping in
Don't wake me I plan on sleeping
Don't wake me I plan on sleeping in

(Words & Music by The Postal Service)
_______

An Idaho Democrat transplanted in Massachusetts is a moderate Republican. It's just the nature of the ideology. The Democratic Party in Idaho, unlike the party in blue states, is a very inclusive group. Tonight I went to Burley to the Cassia County Democrats Fundraiser, now known as the Annual Gov. John Evans Banquet. As I was sitting there, for the first time I think in my life I realized just how much I like being a Democrat in Idaho. The people are amazing. Granted, there are so few of use that each of us have a great deal of work to do, but it's worth it. John Evans, Richard Stallings, James Ruchti, Jerry Brady...all of these men were there and I finally realized just how much it means to me to be a part of this group. (And I say this despite the fact that I had been doing door-to-door campaigning all day for Councilman Stallings and Mayor Chase.) It reminds me of that saying... All a majority means is all the fools are on the same side.

2 comments:

Nick Speth said...

Glad to hear you're back! I can tell you it was hard having the only not-mine political blog I regularly read be Oxen's.

Yeah the Craig thing was wierd. Not sure what to make of it.

My roommate's way into the Postal Service, but there was a period that he listened to them like every waking hour, so he kind of ruined it for me.

"An Idaho Democrat transplanted in Massachusetts is a moderate Republican. It's just the nature of the ideology. The Democratic Party in Idaho, unlike the party in blue states, is a very inclusive group." you say.

That's awfully true. Locally I've tended more and more to be on the side of Dems, except that the few active Cache Valley Democrats I know are nutcases who you can't even comment on how round your pizza is without having them tell you that Bush is evil. I suppose the non-nutcase ones are a little more quiet about it, and so I don't know that they're Democrats. The positions the candidates take are right in line with my own ideas.

Anyway, again, welcome back. I've missed your insight. Speaking of your insight I didn't heed your advice and watched an episode of Commander in Chief. I should have heeded your advice.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Oh Nick, just knowing that the regular read blog was Oxens gives me yet another reason to get back to blogging!

And don't make me say I told you so about Commander-in-Chief. It was a waste of my time and I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

I hadn't ever heard of the Postal Service prior to this song. A good friend of mine made me a cd with that song on it and I just think it's great...something tells me it has to do with the mention of November and Kennedy.