Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Women On My Mind

Yesterday I couldn't think of a single thing to post on. Not because there weren't any big news stories, just a lack of decisiveness on my part (something not entirely surprising since I've had a shower curtain to put up for over a week now and can't decide if I want it up due to not knowing how long I will be residing in this apartment). Yesterday I watched the entire 4th season of The West Wing and I still couldn't think of a single thing to post on.

This afternoon a librarian friend of mine called, hearing the news that the U.S. Congress had chosen to allow Rosa Parks' body to lie in honor in the United States Capitol Rotunda, and needing a favor. She asked me for the papers I've written on Rosa Parks and for my opinion on the honor of lying in the capitol rotunda. I drove across town, gave her the papers, and the numbers...30 Americans have been given the honor of lying in the capitol rotunda for the public to view, 2 African-Americans, and 1 woman. The numbers alone exemplify how amazing Rosa Parks was and remains as a legend of American History and the Civil Rights Movement. The fact that Wednesday flags at federal buildings across the nation will be lowered for her, also says a lot. When I handed my friend the papers that I've written over the years, close to a dozen, I told her that no speech she can give will do justice to a life that in one moment, no speech was worthy of. In that one moment on December 1, 1955, only one action spoke and today it still speaks louder than words. I wish I was in D.C. today to pay my respects, but I know that I have and will for the rest of my life show through my writings, my actions, and my own speech that I respect Ms. Parks on immeasurable levels.

I never watch Gilmore Girls, usually in the afternoons when I come home from school it's on in the main room, but I try to avoid it if I can. Since I never watch it , I was surprised today to see that Madeleine Albright has/had a guest appearance on The WB drama. I guess the only reason this is even worth a comment is, don't get me wrong I feel Madeleine Albright is a trailblazer for women just as Sandra Day O'Connor is, because I have this little daily calendar of quotes and one recently said: "I don't want to be remembered. I'm still here." (--Madeleine Albright) Yes you are.

The indictments kind of took the spotlight away from the withdraw of the Miers nomination. So it goes with he news cycle. During Political Awareness Week at ISU I chaired a panel on the Miers Nomination and the future of the Supreme Court. I studied up on her background and invited a judicial philosopher, a county clerk, and a lawyer. We had a very enlightening discussion on the nomination process and the confirmation process. Afterward I think we all had concluded that she was going to be a hard individual to confirm. When I first heard she had withdrawn her nomination, I was thrilled. Why? Well, my Democrat friends think I'm a fool and remind me that she is for Democrats as close to center as we may get with a Bush appointee. The devil we know was their take on the issue. But in my stubbornness and disbelief explained carefully my number one objection: the doctrine of "self-determination." In a 1993 speech, Miers explained that the moral and social issues should not be for the government to decide, but for individuals. Each individual should determine for themselves whether abortion should be legal and function under those decisions. Can we say libertarianism? My problem with Ms. Miers was not that she sadly called President Bush the smartest man she had ever met or that she was a used-to-be Democrat and Catholic. My problem with Ms. Miers was her doctrine on self-determination. In goes without saying that I support Roe v. Wade and in my support of it know she never would have upheld it if she believed in self-determination.

And so it is, the women on my mind today drowned out a sea of frustration and thus deserved a post. The West Wing tomorrow.

2 comments:

Nick Speth said...

I wish I was in Washington too. Ms Parks is a person impossible not to admire. For me at least, she is the face of the civil rights struggle above MLK and Malcolm X, and all of the rest.

Since you posted about Mr. Wilson's cigar, I've got to share a story with you. A good Mormon friend of mine (meaning he's a good Mormon and a good friend) dressed up as a twenties gangster for the Howl and he had a cigar. At first I thought it was a fake, but then I realized it was a Cohiba. A CUBAN! Where did he get a Cuban cigar from? One he's a good Mormon kid, two he's in the US where they're illegal.

Tara A. Rowe said...

The flags were at half-staff Wednesday on campus. For an otherwise gloomy and rainy day, I found it pretty impressive. I'm sure my posts on Rosa Parks aren't over yet. Let's just say I'm "regrouping."

It seems to me that Mr. Castro and his Cuban exports are appearing more readily in the United States. I'm not sure if this is due to his recent near-death mishap or if Uncle Fidel is finally realizing he needs the U.S. I saw as I was scanning through some blogs a picture of two guys in Denver smoking some very nice looking cigars, some very illegal Havana cigars. Interesting.

I, too, wonder where the "good Mormon kid" got his illegal cigar.