Friday, November 25, 2005

The Most She Will Do Is Throw Shadows At You...

Recently I was told that it is not a wise idea to have a blog if you ever hope to hold public office or aspire to serve on the Supreme Court. Honestly I don't know if that is because people have access to all of your positions, positive or negative, or if it is unwise because of how much people will have to weed through to figure you out. I know it isn't because you're going to possibly reveal some illegal activity you've had a hand in. Really, who does that? On a political blog, unlike an online journal, those just aren't the types of things that come out. In my case, I'm relatively harmless. When something political is happening that I think everyone needs to know about, I shout it. When something historical is on my mind and no one wants to listen to me, the blog is a great place to project it. When something personal is happening, very rarely do I share it with my closest friends, let alone strangers in cyberspace. I can't even think of anything to send to Postsecret. See? I'm not going to reveal any state secrets here. I won't even tell you my favorite color and I've ceased to inform the world of what I'm listening to. Pretty harmless if you ask me. Ergo, the title of this post.

Someone asked me the other day if I was aware that people could get on a website that would tell them all the trivial crap like this day in history. Did I know that? Sure. I look at the Brainy History site every morning to see what random thing happened every day in history. Today I could tell you was the day President Kennedy was laid to rest at Arlington. I think the intention of the conversation was to really ask me why I am so dead-set on posting TDIH stuff. Well, here's the simple answer....it makes me happy. Some events in history are a huge part of who I am. Some events in history I feel should be important to everyone. Some events in history are just a personal obsession of mine. Get over it. I'll post TDIH posts if I want to, you can choose whether or not you want to read them. Same goes for West Wing posts. TWW appears at the title of those posts. See it, choose to read, or just walk away.

My irritation stems from Thanksgiving. I hate holidays. And I guess I am getting tired of people telling me who I am, who I'm not, what I can post about, what I shouldn't post about, who I can be, who I can't, who I can like, and who I can't. Get over it. I'm going to be who I want to be, I'm going to like who I like, I'm going to post about whatever the hell I want to. Deal with it. I have. There comes a point when a person gets pretty tired of others saying things about them that aren't true. I doubt there is anything one person can do to prevent that, other than just to carry on being the person they know they are and forget what everyone else thinks. Life is too short to spend beating up on people who in no way deserve it.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox now. Enjoy Black Friday and I hope everyone had a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Nick Speth said...

What are they going to do? "Ms. Rowe should not be elected mayor because she listens to Big and Rich." lol.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Lol. That's pretty funny. I guess if the worst they've got on me is Big & Rich, a slight obsession with some guy named Kennedy, and an analysis of every random historical event, they don't have much.