Thursday, December 1, 2005

TDIH: Rosa Parks

There are few days in history that mean as much to me, if not the same, as December 1, 1955. November 22, 1963, for obvious reasons, and September 11, 2001 because I lived through that horrific day and the days and months than followed.

On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks refused to give her seat on a public bus to a white man, was arrested, and sparked a movement that would continue for decades. Decades that would bring to light men like Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr., and Medgar Evers. Decades that would influence an entire generation and decades that would see a movement unparalleled to anything in the previous 180+ years of American history.

Today, weeks after the passing of Rosa Parks and on the anniversary of her one brave action, I hope Americas understand the legacy and appreciate the sacrifice. We all too often hold American icons to a higher esteem than they deserve. With Ms. Parks, we don't hold her nearly high enough.

1 comment:

Nick Speth said...

Like I mentioned on my site, the Logan bus system blocked off a front seat on each bus yesterday in honor or Rosa Parks. I thought it was a nice gesture.