Monday, January 23, 2006

Duck and Cover (TWW)

**Editor's Note: I hadn't read this story in The Washington Post before I posted. It's a sad day for The West Wing fans. The series will end on May 14th with the inauguration of the next president.

There is an entire generation of Americans who went to school at a time when the threat of nuclear war was ever present. Crawling under a wooden desk was a reality.

I pray I never know that reality. I was born in a time when Reagan and Gorbachev were negotiating, a time that saw the remaining days of the Berlin Wall. Ducking under a desk, inadequately protecting myself from radiation is only nightmare that comes after far too much Cold War research or viewing Goldwater campaign films.

Commenting on tonight's episode of The West Wing is out of my league. I can't claim to understand nuclear power. I can't claim to support it either.

Operating under the impression that this is the final season of The West Wing, I was pleased to see President Bartlet commanding the episode and taking charge of the catastrophe. It would have been amazing to see Leo by his side, the episode that deals with Leo's death will be tough, but I've come to appreciate the wonder of CJ Cregg as chief-of-staff and the simplistic, no nonsense Will Bailey as press secretary.

I didn't catch tonight's episode until long after it aired, maybe the suspense of waiting through the commercials would have made the episode more intense. I'm running short on patience when it comes to the campaign... can we have the election already? We all know Santos is going to win. And it really bothers me that we still don't know how Leo will exit the show. For John Spencer's sake I wish they would get on with it.

With the Golden Globes this week I thought a great deal about why The West Wing doesn't sweep the awards shows like it used to. One word-- writing. You can't expect the same dynamic with a drawn out campaign and recycled story lines. Getting rid of Toby, taking the focus off President Bartlet, and ignoring the 364 day challenge of Leo McGarry has really hurt the show.

3 comments:

James Aach said...

FYI: See RadDecision.blogspot.com for a accurate portrayal of a nuclear accident in the United States - presented in an entertaining, fictional manner. There's no cost to readers.

Anonymous said...

Nuclear power is one of the safest and cleanest power resources available. Not to mention it makes great fuels for ships and boats that need to spend extended times observing other countries activities and protecting out freedom.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Chernobyl certainly doesn't make me think nuclear power is the safest or cleanest resource available. But I am not a scientist nor have I done extensive research on this topic.

Thanks, James. I'll check that out as soon as I get a minute