Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Her Own Legacy

**Editor's Note: While typing this post, the United States Senate has confirmed Samuel Alito to the U.S. Supreme Court. The vote is 58-42.

In my mind four women stand out for their courage, grace, and legacy. Their husbands were amazing men, yet killed in their prime. Jackie Kennedy lost her husband in Dallas in '63, Ethel Kennedy in Los Angeles in '68, Myrlie Evers in Jackson in '63, and Coretta Scott King in Memphis that unbelievable spring of '68.

Today the Post is reporting that Coretta Scott King has died.

When people like Maya Angelou take notice, the world should know it is only appropriate to take notice as well.

I cannot in words express my admiration for Mrs. King. There is no fitting way for me to note her passing, but only one way I know how, to quote one man I admire for similar reasons to my admiration of the four women whose husbands were slain:

"Let each of us, to the best of our ability, in our own day and generation, perform something worthy to be remembered...Let us give something back to America, in return for all it has given us." --Edward M. Kennedy

Coretta Scott King has done far more for this nation than anyone could have respectfully asked from her following the death of her husband. Her legacy shines on.

Coretta Scott King
1927 - 2006

No comments :