Thursday, January 12, 2006

Music Recommendations

I've noticed lately alot of music recommendations on the blogs I frequently read. And since over the Christmas break I acquired quite a few new CDs myself, I thought now would be a great time to recommend a few of them. Plus, I'm a little burned out on politics. Yesterday was exhausting! Here's my top five country list (let me just say choosing only five was quite the process):

Blake Shelton: Barn & Grill-- Now I am not even sure when I purchased this CD or if it was given to me, but I'm sure I had it long before Christmas break. It was just the dynamic of lying in bed for a good week straight with bronchitis that made me pop this one into the CD player. Blake Shelton has come a long way since his single "Austin." In fact it is hard to even tell that when you hear "Some Beach" that it is even the same person. My personal favorite on this album is "Goodbye Time."

Chris Cagle: Anywhere But Here-- When I went to see Brad Paisley in concert I went because Chris Cagle was supposed to be the opener. He was sick, didn't show, I was mad. Brad turned out to be pretty sweet and life went on. Growing to like Chris Cagle has been a big chore, but I'm coming around. Nothing on his new CD is as great as "I Breathe In, I Breathe Out," "Laredo," or "What a Beautiful Day," but the Walmart parking lot song is oddly funny and perfect for those of us who grew up in smalltowns.

Keith Urban: Be Here-- This wasn't a Christmas gift either, but one that I have listened to on and off since finals week. There is something about Keith Urban, unique to country music, that just draws me in. The entire CD is worth listening to. My personal favorite is "Tonight I Wanna Cry."

Joe Nichols: III-- The greatest purchase I have ever made with a gift certificate by far. Okay, not the greatest, but pretty close. I purchased this CD for one track that seriously makes me laugh my head off and it has turned out to be a very well-rounded album with more than one song that makes me laugh hysterically! Do I really have to mention that my favorite track is "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off?"

Faith Hill: Fireflies-- Not specifically Christmas either, but it certainly got its fair share of listening to over the break. Come to think of it, I am not sure a day went by without Faith making her way into my CD player at least once. Her talent always amazes me, but something about this CD is magic. She's wonderful alone, she's wonderful with Tim, she's just wonderful. There is a wedding song called "Dearly Beloved" that cracks me up, but in all reality when it comes down to it I go with Faith & Tim everytime.

As you can tell, I'm pretty hooked on country at the moment. I just think there is some great pop/country crossovers coming out right now and the less twang, the better.

And from the rest of the music world...

Collective Soul: 7even Year Itch-- I had to own this CD. Every bit of Collective Soul is great. As you can tell by my post the other day on "She Said," they are often in the CD player and everytime just as good as the last. On this particular collection of their greatest hits "The World I Know" stands out for me, but overall my always and forever favorite Collective Soul single is "Compliment."

The Very Best of Jackson Browne-- Sometimes I can walk away from someone I really like, say with Updike, a long break, yet when I return it is just like discovering Updike for the very first time and falling in love with him all over again. Such is the case with this Jackson Browne compilation. I love it! I love it so much I can't narrow it down to one favorite.

Yeah, well I could go on like this for days, but I'll save you the boredom. If I had to pick one of these fine CDs to recommend you go out and find, I think I'd say if you want the most for your money you've gotta go with Jackson Browne. If you want less, but great quality, Faith Hill.

4 comments:

Nick Speth said...

I met a kid who ended up naked every time he drunk, unfortunately is was a dude, so I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Mr. Nichols.

Tara A. Rowe said...

In the video for Joe Nichols' song the woman he sings of is his grandmother! It's freakin' hilarious.

Nick Speth said...

he was drunk I should say, thanks for not pointing out my grammar problem there.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I'm not the grammar police.