Tuesday, January 31, 2006

State of the Union Wrap-up

Tonight as I watched the State of the Union address with the ISU College Democrats and IPSA (Idaho Progressive Student Alliance), I was amazed at how many times the statements of President Bush reflected his total lack of knowledge in regard to the United States Constitution. The wiretapping scandal is bigger than any failure to disclose a life threatening illness or sex scandal, Bush is infringing on the rights of American citizens without their knowledge. Tonight as mad as I am about a countless number of issues, my number one concern is that the President of the United States of America does not understand that despite the complexity of constitutional powers, they are worth understanding. I'd like to ask the President of the United States of America and while I'm at it, the student body president of ISU why they haven't taken the time to understand the constitutions that grant them that executive power.

Watching the State of the Union with a room full of Democrats is a great experience. Had it been a Democrat addressing Congress we would have been on our feet cheering. I'll admit there were some pretty heated words for George W. Bush from my crew when it came to the Raid on Student Aid, Medicaid/Medicare, and the infamous Social Security point (aka known as the part where the Dems stood up and cheered for their valiant defeat of his not so sound privatization attempt). There were moments when I personally took offense-- specifically those moments when he mentioned Coretta Scott King and Sandra Day O'Connor for cheap political points. There were also moments when had I not been with a group of people would have shouted as loudly as I could the worst words I know--specifically the moment when discussing the negative outcomes of isolationism mentioning Truman, Kennedy, and Reagan as examples of when being nonisolationists was a good thing. A room full of College Democrats is a hard thing to understand. Trust me on that one. And believe me when I say it is not something I hope to understand anytime in the near future!

I really had a lot more to say than this, but as the night wears on and as I realize how much homework I have to accomplish before tomorrow I must dive in. One last thing before I go... Julie, Ian, and Serephin-- it was a pleasure picking apart the SOTU with you this evening. You are the reason I love being a blogger in Idaho!

4 comments:

Communis Legionarius said...

Sounds like the Spin of the Union was quite an event at your house.

Tara A. Rowe said...

It sure was!

Karl said...

Love the articles with the RFK quotes. Its nice to hear a democratic voice from another republican state. Keep up the good fight.

Nick Speth said...

Now Tara you know I try to be supportive of the president, though I'm finding that more and more difficult. But I have to say that I've been searching for a way to describe what I read (I didn't watch the speech) in the SOTU that I didn't like.

Now there were the outright things, nobody is convincing me of the need for unwarranted wiretaps for instance, but something else bugged me too.

Peggy Noonan of the Wall Street Journal ended up being the conservative voice that said what I was thinking, "There was a sense that [Bush] was talking at, not to, the country."