Monday, February 20, 2006

Frank Church & A President's Day Message

Every President's Day I have a ritual... I recite the Presidents of the United States in chronological order. It's odd, I know, but every year I realize I don't know them as well as I though -- generally this realization comes as I hit that group of presidents prior to Abraham Lincoln. Every President's Day I make an effort to recognize the work of each president, not just the typical recognition of Washington and Lincoln, though it is their birthdays that we celebrate. This morning I read a beautiful piece by Thomas Jefferson, this afternoon I watched some of the History Channel's President's Day Special looking specifically at Cleveland, McKinley, Roosevelt, and Taft, and tonight before I go to bed, I will read, like I do every year, Article II of the United States Constitution. Nerdy, I know.

This President's Day in particular I am very fired up and energized in respect to American politics. Thanks to a fiery Latino woman by the name of Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez, I have the political zeal right now that usually gets people to announce they are running for one office or another. I'm not announcing my candidacy for any office tonight, but I am announcing that it is GREAT to be a Democrat in Idaho! And I REALLY love President's Day!

As I'm sure you have heard, the Frank Church Banquet rocked! The entire weekend was wonderful. It of course began with a phone call informing me that I had in fact won the election at ISU. I attended campaign trainings with former State Representative Allen Andersen which were very informative...though evidently yard signs cause a great deal of controversy. I was offered three different jobs, met with prominent individuals in my field of work, and FINALLY met Julie Fanselow, the mother of blogging in Idaho and writer/creator of Red State Rebels. Despite the fact that I was told by one very arrogant man that I am twenty years old and basically as stupid as a rock and the fact that I locked my keys in my car at a 7-11, it was a pretty sweet weekend.

I have had a rather enjoyable President's Day and had a WONDERFUL President's Day weekend. If you didn't make it to Frank Church, check over at 43rd State Blues for more on the banquet and the speech by Loretta Sanchez. If you didn't celebrate President's Day nearly as much as I did, read Article II before you go to bed. And if you love being a Democrat in Idaho as much as I do, please take a minute to donate to any of the Idaho candidates.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Who said that crap to you? It is honestly disturbing to me that someone would say that to you, especially since you are the exact opposite of stupid. I'm sorry, I hope you didn't take it to heart.

Tara A. Rowe said...

There's an entire story behind the stupid comment...hopefully in the next few days I will have the time to post my entire conversation that resulted in him telling me I am stupid and I will tell you just what I plan to do about it.