Sunday, February 5, 2006

Nominations

Editor's Note: My article on assisted living was published today in The Idaho State Journal and I have some responses I would like to post, but right now my back is killing me, I've studied way too much, and I just want to post random stuff that in no way relates to anything political.

For those of you who aren't as crazy about awards shows, both the Oscars and the Grammys are coming up. To read the complete list of Grammy nominees you can visit their website and for a complete list of Oscar nominees you can visit their site as well. I believe the Grammy's will be on the 8th of February (Wednesday) and the Oscars will be on the 5th of March.

My personal picks for the Grammy's include: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (U2) for album of the year. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love that CD. I listen to it rather frequently and every time find something about it that I missed the time before. Unlike The Rolling Stones, U2 just keeps getting better with time...that and they aren't as wrinkled. In the category of song of the year, I find myself torn. "Bless the Broken Road" from Rascal Flatts is the greatest song to me. It is not only lyrically powerful, the melody is something that the music industry hasn't seen in a very long time. There have been times in my life that I've known that every broken road has led me to right where I am and this song deserves song of the year for that reason alone. BUT...yes, there is a but...the Boss is also in this category. "Devils & Dust"-- how do you compete with that? And U2 made it into this category as well. It's a good thing they don't ask me to vote...

I'm going with Sugarland for best new artist, Sheryl Crow for best female pop vocal performance, Rob Thomas best male pop performance, The Killers for best duo or group pop performance, Foo Fighters with "Best of You" for best duo or group rock performance, Paul McCartney anywhere he's mentioned, "The Hand that Feeds" NIN, "Beverly Hills" by Weezer for best rock song, Neil Young's great new album for best rock album, Keith Urban for best male country, and last but not least Faith Hill for best female country vocal performance. Her newest single is breathtaking. Which I guess means I'd be voting for it to in the country collaboration category too. And if in any category I don't have a conflicting vote, I think that LeeAnn Womack's newer single "I May Hate Myself in the Morning" is great.

I really liked the Grammy's better when they didn't break everything down into so many categories...I'd like to see u2, Eminem, and Kanye West battle it out.

Now, on to the Oscars...

I won't go into this too much, as I'm sure I'll make my predictions a little closer to the awards, but I have to say Walk the Line deserves every award it is nominated for. The performances of Joaquin Phoeniz and Reese Witherspoon are unreal. The movie was way too long, the story a little hopeless, but the way those two sing is absolutely awesome! I went into that movie expecting Ray and was very disappointed, but I don't think any other person nominated worked as hard as those two.

The only exception to my pervious comment is Philip Seymour Hoffman. Truman Capote is a very complex and disturbing character. I've read In Cold Blood at least three times in my life and every time I have to step outside my head to take it all in.

I hate King Kong, I think anything to do with Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice is a waste of time, and I can't speak highly of Syriana, but Batman Begins rocks, Goodnight, and Good Luck is not only moving, but factual, and I really wish the theaters in Pocatello would wisen up and bring Munich here. It's like waiting for Million Dollar Baby all over again (only I hope not nearly as disappointing) and watching Ray in a theater with seven other people weeks after the show opened everywhere else.

Alright ladies and gentlemen, that's the end of my rant on Hollywood for tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I'm feeling a little more on top of the game and I'll post something worth your while.

2 comments:

Nick Speth said...

I think anything to do with Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice is a waste of time

YES!! Hallelujah!

Also U2's HTDAAB was good, but I felt like it was All That You Can't Leave Behind II. That's a tough album to follow up.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I HATE Pride & Prejudice. I HATE it with every ounce of negative energy in me!

I have to pretend like I never heard All That You Can't Leave Behind when I listen to HTDAAB. It's like listening to Dylan anytime after Blonde on Blonde.