Sunday, February 12, 2006

Rooney's Geography Lesson & This Week's Schedule

For those of you who didn't catch it, Andy Rooney's segment on 60 Minutes this evening was awesome!

Those of you who know me well know that I am notorious for being horrible at geography. So tonight Rooney's segment was especially helpful (or, well funny) to me. Andy was explaining that there is a misconception about the Middle East-- mostly because the Middle East is not really the Middle of anything. "The East" is actually so vast there is no telling where the middle actually is. There also is evidently some sort of confusion between Iran and Iraq. He not only pointed out the size difference (Iraq is approximately 2/3 the size of Texas and the difference between Iraq and Texas? "Another difference between Iraq and Texas is, President Bush doesn't go to Iraq on vacation.") and the historical differences, he pointed out the single letter difference. Rooney said, " It's as if we had two states - one called Utah and the other called Utaq." Okay, so I really laughed so hard I nearly had tears coming out. It was totally my kind of geography lesson!

So this week is especially crazy for me. As you all know I am running for the ASISU Senate from the College of Arts & Sciences and elections are this week. I have 2 official campaign days left and then have to take down all of materials Valentine's Day before midnight. Online elections begin Wednesday morning and will end at 6pm on Friday. Not only do I have this going on and a stack of homework, I am headed to Boise bright and early Friday morning for some time at the Capitol and a weekend at the Frank Church Banquet.

There may not be much time for blogging this week, but I'm sure there will be much to say after the weekend of politics in Boise.

Read the Rooney segment transcript, it's hilarious!

4 comments:

EducationSchemducation said...

Andy mentioned Idaraq and Idaran but he didn't say nothing about no Idaho, are you sure your're in America?

Jessica said...

I can't wait for Boise. I extended my trip to Monday so I can have more fun!!!

Edwardo said...

Okay, when do we get the Quailgate jokes?

Tara A. Rowe said...

Someone asked me today if I had heard that VP Cheney shot himself while huntin' for pigeons-- I about died laughing!