Saturday, February 11, 2006

Smorgasbord Saturday

Most of what I have to say pertains to housekeeping, but some of what I have to say is pointless nonsense, so why not make this a smorgasbord Saturday?

I purchased two new books today. Let me start at the beginning--I went to the public library three times this week. Usually Saturday is my library day, not really sure why, just happens to be how my brain is programmed. BUT...this week I visited the library three times before Saturday. Surely it was trying to compensate for the other areas of my life this week that were overlooked and those especially that I was trying to ignore, yet it left me with no book-related adventure for Saturday. So, I drove on out to the mall. Now, it must be clearly understood that I HATE the Pine Ridge Mall. As far as malls go I'm sure it's fine, but I simply hate malls. I actually hate shopping in general. And even more than I hate the mall, I hate Walden. Every time I am in there, they don't have the specific thing I went for. I once had to explain to them that they are an American bookstore without a single book by Robert Frost. They didn't seem to understand the injustices of that, but the next time I was in there were two works by Frost on the shelf.

Long story short (or sort of), I now own two new books, The Handy Geography Answer Book and The Handy Politics Answer Book. I already own The Handy History Answer Book and love it. I hope to find The Handy Presidents Answer Book sometime to round out the collection.

My good friend James gave me a new and wonderful CD today. I had for months been listening to "Best of You" on Artist Direct and now own the Foo Fighters latest album, In Your Honor. I never cared much for Nirvana. I was too busy listening to Pearl Jam to like Nirvana I guess, but I love the Foo Fighters. I don't ever really need more CDs, I believe I own upwards of 400, yet everytime I get a new one I am quite happy. Another good friend of mine gave me two random mixed CDs yesterday that I also love.

Best of You
By the Foo Fighters

I’ve got another confession to make
I’m your fool
Everyone’s got their chains to break
Holdin’ you

Were you born to resist or be abused?
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?

Are you gone and onto someone new?
I needed somewhere to hang my head
Without your noose
You gave me something that I didn’t have
But had no use
I was too weak to give in
Too strong to lose
My heart is under arrest again
But I break loose
My head is giving me life or death
But I can’t choose
I swear I’ll never give in
I refuse

Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?
Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?

Has someone taken your faith?
Its real, the pain you feel
Your trust, you must
Confess

Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?

These fine lyrics bring me to my next part of this lovely smorgasbord...since Songs on Repeat is no longer in existence, I've decided to bring back that little thing I used to call "In the CD Player." I have yet to decide whether it will be specific songs listed or just albums, but nonetheless this blog needs a little more beat and a lot more rhythm. And if anybody has a problem with that or reads way too much into what I'm listening to, you're just gonna have to get over it, because I'm doing it anyway. This actually came to my attention the other day when I was reading over on 43rd State Blues and the title of a post was "Isn't it ironic... don'tcha think?" which very quickly led to me singing every last word of "Ironic" by Alanis Morissette (which to tell you the truth I didn't know I knew the lyrics to and I really am not that great of a singer...) and then logically led to Jagged Little Pill in my CD player with "Head Over Feet" on repeat.

I guess you could say that was a matter of housekeeping, as is this: The West Wing will return to its regular time on NBC Sunday March 13th. Just wanted you all to know that I wasn't purposefully not posting on the episodes, there haven't been any recently. I'm sure this in some way has to do with the Olympics.

Last and certainly not least, I will try within the next week to update the list of books I am reading on the sidebar. For some reason I've had a little trouble updating that and I guess have had a little trouble staying caught up with everything I am reading at once!

Okay believe it or not folks, that's all I've got. Enjoy the remainder of the weekend!

4 comments:

Nick Speth said...

Wait until next year, NBC got Sunday night NFL football, so either TWW will have to change nights, or be a spring/summer only show.

Matt said...

hey tara,
the foo fighters are my favorite band and i am listening to in your honor right now... i got a good laugh as i read that in your blog.

matt kop

Torrid said...

there is no next year for TWW. This is it--cancelled.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I didn't mean next year, I just meant the regular and final season will resume in March.