Friday, February 17, 2006

This Is Senator-Elect Rowe, Posting Tonight From the State Capitol

As my first on-the-road post, I am pleased and ecstatic to announce that I have been elected by the ISU student body to continue my service on the ASISU Senate!!! I can't even begin to tell you how relieved I am and how happy I am to be able to serve.

Congratulations to my good friend Ryan Sargent who was elected to be our next student body president and to Laura Mattern my newest friend and fellow senator for her win as well. It's a great night for student activism.

As I type this post I am sitting in Boise enjoying what has been a wonderfully political day. This morning the Senate State Affairs Committee voted to print a bill that will place a non-voting student member on the Idaho State Board of Education. Also this morning as I entered the gallery of the Idaho Senate chamber, Senator Bert Marley introduced me from the gallery as his former student which I cannot even begin to tell you how happy and honored I was. Some day down the road I will have to explain to you all the level of respect and admiration I have for Bert. Until then, just know that one action on his part today left me a little teary eyed and I will forever remember that moment today. (Especially that moment after Senator Marley said my name when Denton Darrington's head popped right up to look at me in irritation.)

Tomorrow is the Frank Church Banquet and I couldn't be more excited. Every day it is just getting better and better to be a Democrat in Idaho!! Now if I could just say every day it was getting easier and easier to be a Democrat in Idaho, or for that matter a student in Idaho. The student part I hope to do something about...knowing now that I will continue to serve as a student senator from the College of Arts & Sciences!!

4 comments:

Tara A. Rowe said...

Can you tell I listened to broadcast tapes of Walter Cronkite on the way up to Boise?

Jessica said...

Congrats. :)

Nick Speth said...

Hey congratulations! I'm happy to hear that you're going to be on the students' senate. Very cool. I can't say I'd like that opportunity though, I'm having a hard enough time with the workload of just student, let alone student and senator.

Jessica said...

It's so interesting you linked to this post as there has been a stir on ISU's campus over Team Bengal, basically Orange Party II. Maybe we can expect a post about TB or the politics on campus?