Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Dance Along the Light of Day

Editor's Note: Before reading my very random and bizarre post, please head on over and check out Students for Grant. Thanks!

Do you ever have one of those days when you just don't think you could be any more happy? I've had two in a row. Yesterday was awesome. Cuba didn't win, but awesome nonetheless. Today was awesome, classes were unusually long, but still awesome. It's days like these that I call "Drops of Jupiter" kind of days. Let me explain...

Last night in the ASISU Senate meeting I had the opportunity to do two things: 1) Be a Democrat and 2) Share some Idaho history with my fellow senators. I'll share with you the story I shared with them-- In the first part of the twentieth century, Senator Heyburn voted against a preservation program that would protect Idaho state parks. Today we have Heyburn State Park which is interestingly named after our former senator. I say interestingly, because Senator Heyburn voted against the bill and he also lost funding for the forest service. So, when in 1910 a forest fire swept Idaho, 1/2 of Idaho forests burned because there was no funding to fight the fire. I find it ironic that we have a state park named after our fine Senator Heyburn.

There is more to the story than that, but when I left the Senate office last night, I had a pretty big grin on my face. I love Idaho history. And I got in my car and in my CD player was Train's "Drops of Jupiter."

I was asked to speak this weekend at the Idaho History Conference being held at ISU. I am going to talk about research methods and the obstacles I have encountered in my work with the Stallings' Collection. When I learned about this I was a little hesitant, mostly because of the prep time, but by the end of the day, on my way home I was stoked! I get to talk about something I love almost as much as Kennedy. And I got in my car and "Drops of Jupiter" was still in the CD player.

There's an independent vibe that I get from that song that is motivating in ways I can't even begin to explain. On the worst of days it lifts me up and on the best of days it lets me soar. We all need a song that hits as hard as "Drops of Jupiter" or maybe we all need a good ole lesson in Idaho history.

No comments :