Monday, March 6, 2006

Okay, Not a Very Enlightening or Thoughtful Post

This is what I originally said...

This eventually, sometime late tonight, will turn into a very thoughtful post... for the moment you'll just have to settle with me sending you over to Ridenbaugh Press to read what Randy Stapilus has to say about the departure of Bruce Newcomb and his unknown successor. I had not given it a thought...Scott Bedke for Speaker...somebody shoot me please.

This is what I am saying now...

I just walked in the door from the longest ASISU Senate meeting ever! Okay, not really, but certainly the longest I've taken part in. I sat in my lovely (not so comfortable) Senate seat from 6 until 10:50. Ugh!

And to top it all off, I turned on my computer and there on the MSN homepage is the announcement that Kirby Puckett has died of a stroke.

Kirby Puckett was not only a six-time Gold Glove center fielder, a 10-time All-Star, and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2001, he's one very important factor in why my Atlanta Braves didn't win the World Series in 1991. I was six and I can remember Kirby Puckett's leaping catch past the running track and his game-ending homer in the 11th inning. And it wasn't even game 7! It was game 6 and it ended right there for the Braves with that one hit by Kirby.

I could barely remember what John Smoltz had to say about it, but I remember him being humble. Tonight as I read the article from Fox Sports, I re-read that quote from '91:

"If we had to lose and if one person basically was the reason - you never want to lose - but you didn't mind it being Kirby Puckett. When he made the catch and when he hit the home run you could tell the whole thing had turned," Smoltz said.

As a lifelong Braves fan, I can agree with Smoltz. There was just something magical about that Kirby Puckett smirk.

And don't anybody start cracking steroids jokes...

No comments :