Wednesday, March 1, 2006

A Reporter's Life

I have only written what would be considered a "fan letter" three times in my life. Once to a wide receiver by the name of John Taylor who used to play for the 49ers, once recently to an amazing poet who studied under Frost, Philip Booth, and then once to Mr. Walter Cronkite care of CBS News.

All my life I have admired Walter Cronkite. I've said many times that the only voice I remember hearing on 9/11 was that of Peter Jennings, the voice I hear when I think of the Kennedy assassination, though I certainly was not there, is and will forever be the voice of Walter Cronkite.

Hence the reason I highly recommend this book.

On my way to Boise for the Frank Church Banquet I listened to Walter read his own work on CD. It was fabulous! I'm sure that had I read the book myself I would never have appreciated it nor taken so much from it. It is a biography of Cronkite and a wonderful historical reference.

Of course my favorite part was when Cronkite, it a strong, forceful voice read the AP wire announcing that Kennedy had died in Dallas. It's an unbelievable thing to hear him read that without faltering. Burned into my memory is the voice of someone clearly shaken and just as saddened by the loss of a great president, but the audio book is not that voice.

So, if you're headed out of town, pick up the audio (you can get it at the Marshall Public Library here in Pocatello) or grab a copy of the book at your local bookstore. It is more than worth the time it takes to read it or listen to it.

No comments :