Thursday, March 2, 2006

Speaker of the House NOT Seeking Re-election

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I just read in the Times-News that Speaker of the House Bruce Newcomb (R-Burley) will not be seeking re-election. Could I possibly be any happier? I seriously doubt it.

When you spend substantial time in Bannock County, moving to Cassia County is a shock to one's system. I spent two years in Declo, Idaho wondering where the Democrats were and with representation in that area consisting of Scott Bedke (R-Oakley), Denton Darrington (R-Declo), Dean Cameron (R-Rupert), and Newcomb, moving back to Bannock County was awesome!

The Times-News says:

Newcomb, R-Burley, said he won't seek re-election after serving 20 years in the Idaho House, eight of them as the leader of that body. Newcomb has served the longest of any Idaho House speaker.

"This place and these people are like home and family to me. I met my wife here, and some of my best friends in the world," Newcomb said. "It's going to be hard to go, but it's time to get back to the ranch and leave the heavy lifting to younger backs."

Newcomb, 66, is married to Celia Gould, a former state representative from Buhl. He is a farmer and rancher who was chosen as speaker in 1998 after his predecessor, Mike Simpson, was elected to Congress.

Well, good riddance Speaker Newcomb. And thanks for never responding to any of my letters and emails!

2 comments:

Alan said...

I also like to see the retirement of folks whom I've opposed, and will be happy to not see BN's smiling face anymore. My joy is tempered a bit by the "Better the devil you know than one you don't" idea.

Dare we hope for a moderate R, or even a D, to replace BN? I suspect we'll get a rightwingnut.

Also, any idea who will succeed BN as House Speaker? That is probably the more important question.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I don't know who is in line to succeed Newcomb, but in my humble opinion anyone could do a better job!

All my Republican friends, and yes, I have many of them, tell me that I should like Newcomb because he originally ran against Denton as a Democrat...for me those are the worst kinds of politicians. The politicians who swich sides are not my favorite, well with the exception of Jumpin' Jim Jeffords.