Thursday, March 16, 2006

Wal-Mart

I've had the flu since some time late Tuesday night. If I remember correctly I was sick much of Christmas break with bronchitis and this last Thanksgiving was one of the first I can remember that I wasn't sick with some bug or another. It's the curse of school breaks.

So long story short, I had to go out to Wal-Mart this morning to purchase a new garbage can for my bathroom. I guess I didn't have to go to Wal-Mart, but I did. And amazingly enough I ran into the last person on earth I ever thought would shop at Wal-Mart. I can't tell you who it was...we made an oath in the store to never reveal our identities, though in telling this story I realize I am revealing the fact that I was in fact in Wal-Mart.

For the record, I hate Wal-Mart. I've only been to the place maybe a half-dozen times by myself, I hate shopping and I especially hate shopping alone. One of my many trips out to Wal-Mart left me accused of purchasing questionable items, items that my Wal-Mart shopping partner had put in the basket and was surely across the store looking for more...come to think of it, she's a questionable friend. Needless to say, I avoid Wal-Mart.

This person I ran into happens to be one of the most die-hard Democrats I know. So, as I was pulling out of the parking lot, which if possible, I hate more than the store itself, I was thinking -- what if all the Democrats in the United States stopped shopping at Wal-Mart? Couldn't we put them out of business?

As soon as I find another store in P-Town that sells Diet IBC Root Beer, I'm breaking loose of the Wal-Mart bond.

4 comments:

Nick Speth said...

Okay, here's the deal though. People say "Oh Wal-Mart takes customers from other stores."

Let me tell you, I was in Wal-Mart about a month ago, it was around ten at night, and I saw a man returning a bag of Malt-o-Meal cereal. The checker asked "What's wrong with it."

"Oh," said the man. "I've already got one."

Now here's the question: Do other stores really want these freaks?

Tara A. Rowe said...

Ha. You know I'd never really thought about the freaks that frequent Wal-Mart, but there is certainly a great deal of truth to that!

Back when I lived with roommates and didn't have the job I have now we'd only go to Wal-Mart between 10pm and 6am because it was all that was open--well other than Winco, but that place is just creepy.

I have a problem with Wal-Mart's labor practices and their parking lot. That and Fred Meyer is three blocks away from my house.

Matt said...

you shopped at walmart... tsk tsk tsk. winco is employee owned, 50 stores strong and headquartered in boise... and has cheaper groceries than walmart.

i am glad that i didn't run into you there. i have shopped there a few times lately and would have made you take the oath as well.

take care

Matt said...

btw,,, you can special order anything at any grocery store...albertsons... winco etc
they would be happy to provide a product they dont have for a customer