Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Another Disappointing Session for Education

This session of the Idaho State Legislature has FINALLY come to a close, but what exactly do we have to show for it?

With each passing session I become even more disappointed with the Legislature in how they deal with education. And I say this to Republicans and Democrats alike. Where are the politicians who really care about education in Idaho? I can think of few and at the moment only one comes to mind.

At some point we are all going to come to the conclusion that we should have done something. I only wish that point would come sooner, rather than later. At some point I hope we realize that paying for our prisons instead of funding school curriculums and school buildings themselves has been a poor policy only encouraging crime and deviance.

I am reminded of Ruskin, something in Unto This Last: "Let us reform our schools, and we shall find little reform needed in our prisons."

My hopes for next year? A governor who understands his role in the session (LEADERSHIP!), a new Speaker (though, Speaker Newcomb your service to this state is appreciated and your strong words against Rep. Sali have not gone unnoticed), and Democrats with a backbone. All of which will benefit education as a whole.

No comments :