Saturday, April 22, 2006

Smorgasbord Saturday

The people who live on the corner by my house have a Jana Jones for State Superintendent sign in their yard. Now, yard signs themselves don't bother me, and those of you who were at the campaign trainings in Boise for the Frank Church banquet will know of how lengthy the conversation about yard signs was, but yard signs of people I won't be supporting bother me. I can't have yard signs at my house so I can't put a Bert Marley, the candidate I whole heartedly support, for State Superintendent sign out in my yard to counter the sign down the street, so...I've decided that because I can't promote the candidates of my choice by placing yard signs in every visible spot in the yard, I will, from now until the general election have a Candidate of the Week post. You can add this to the other regular posting categories of Smorgasbord Saturday, TWW, and TDIH. TWW posts will be ending on Mother's Day as The West Wing will run for the last time that day.

If you haven't noticed by the spaces of time between my posts, my life is a little bit out of control lately. The calendar is plastered with appointments, events, and other random happenings that I'm engulfed in. And, to add to the chaos, yet again, I am not feeling particularly well. On average I get three sinus infections a year...Generally right before Christmas (and more often than not during fall finals), sometime between Easter & when school gets out, and then once over the summer after I've been quite busy and then have a week or so of down time. I wouldn't consider the bug that inflicts me at the moment a full-blown sinus infection, but it certainly has the potential to be. I went to the doctor last week and he informed me I had what was left of an upper respiratory infection (I had a cough for about a week) and that I should be careful because my immune system wasn't up to par. To tell you the truth I don't know if my immune system is ever up to par, but I suppose I should have taken that as "Tara, don't wear yourself out and steer clear of any potential disasters." What are the chances this is merely a weekend head cold and I'll be cured by Monday?

Monday night is the last meeting of the ASISU Student Senate. Since January 31st when I was sworn in, I have had quite the time on the Senate. It has been a wonderful learning experience and I truly look forward to next year when I can serve out an entire term with some idea of what exactly I am doing. Monday night I will be presenting the first Senate resolution I have ever written. I had previously sponsored a bill and cosponsored a bill, but never was I the author of and sole sponsor of anything. At the risk of sounding nerdy, it was pretty cool to write and I am thoroughly excited for Monday night.

Over at Uncle Orson Reviews Everything, Orson Scott Card has a nice article on Colonial Williamsburg. For those of you who don't know, my first choice for graduate school is the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. As I have been in the thick of graduate school applications, I have read a great deal about Williamsburg and how the school was occupied by Revolutionary troops then again during the Civil War. I would definitely recommend the article and the colonial history program the college has to offer. I am in love with the idea of the College of William and Mary, but will admit I would choose it over another school strictly because I have not had the opportunity to learn very much about U.S. History in my undergrad program. I am also most likely applying to the University of Utah, the University of Idaho, the University of Oregon, Northeastern, UMass-Boston, UT-Dallas, and other seemingly obvious U.S History related programs. Regardless of the places I apply and where I will be accepted, I am amazed by Williamsburg.

One last thing, I finally registered for classes for the fall semester and I just wanted to say, the fall semester may be my best yet. I have an awesome lineup of not just courses, but professors. I will finally take Idaho History and have registered for Senior Seminar in both the History and Political Science Departments. In the spring I'll need to take 12 credits to keep my seat on the Senate, but I imagine they will be fluff...I will have all my requirements and hopefully will just be able to take anything I want (i.e. English courses and I'm sure there will be a few other History courses that for some reason I will believe I just can't live without).

It seems like just yesterday I began at Idaho State. Where did the time go?

2 comments:

Alan said...

Why can't you put yard signs in your yard?

Tara A. Rowe said...

I live in a non-profit facility, there is a rule somewhere about political signs I guess.