Tuesday, May 23, 2006

How Fitting

Being that it is primary election day, I found it particularly fitting that the Washington Post was reporting that Former Senator Lloyd Bentsen had passed away.

One of the greatest quotes in all of American political history is that of Lloyd Bentsen in 1988 while in the vice-presidential debate with Dan Quayle. Quayle compared himself to Jack Kennedy and Bentsen responded: "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy."

As you can imagine, I have studied the 1988 presidential election--the race that put up Michael Dukakis against George Herbert Walker Bush. In fact, I wrote my high school senior research paper on presidential elections and the role of television in American politics post-1952. A large chunk of that paper involved the campaign ads during the 1988 election and the Willy Horton scandal.

Anyway, today the United States has lost a brilliant and gifted politician--a true patriot.

___________________
Senator Lloyd Millard Bentsen Jr.
2/11/1921 - 5/23/2006

No comments :