Friday, May 26, 2006

Memorial Day Weekend

Governor Kempthorne is now the Secretary of the Interior, Lt. Governor Risch is now the Governor, and the state's business continues.

The election came and went. Some disappointments, some victories. And the world continues to rotate.

This week has been what I would probably describe as an emotional rollercoaster. I wrote a paper that nearly killed me, emotionally. I watched a dear friend and former teacher be defeated in a race that drained me. And today I checked my mail and there in the box was a letter from President Gallagher (Interim President of Idaho State University) awarding me a presidential internship for the 2006-2007 academic year complete with tuition, health insurance, and an hourly wage.

For the last probably six months, I have been engrossed in a project concerning the congressional papers of Richard Stallings and now, with this presidential internship, I will have the opportunity to inventory and catalogue the entire collection. I am excited on a level that I have never before experienced.

Now as I prepare to head out of town and sit here reflecting on the week and all of its successes and victories, I realize that it isn't about a single political race, not about how many victories we achieve, but rather about the smaller accomplishments we find along the way.

Have a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend.

4 comments:

Diana Rowe Pauls said...

You are an amazing human being. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, they really touched me tonight.

Can I pretend that we really ARE related??

Nick Speth said...

Congrats on the internship. That's cool. Good luck.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I don't claim most of the people I am related to, so Diana I see no problem pretending we're actually related. ;)

Thanks everyone.

Serephin said...

Enthusiastic congrats, Tara. A challenge worthy of your talent.