Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Raging Disappointment (Thankfully NOT Related to Raging Alcoholism)

The day after election day can be the best day of the year or the worst. Today certainly feels like the worst day of the year.

When George W. Bush won in 2000, I was up all night waiting for results that didn't come. When George W. Bush won again in 2004, I was up all night waiting for results that didn't come. Both times, once the results came I was finished thinking about it. He had won (sort of) and life goes on. Last night I was up all night waiting for results that came and today I just can't seem to get over it.

On the local level, I am beyond baffled at Geoff Ranere's loss. On a state level, the superintendent race has me...well crushed. I've always heard people talk about "political heartbreak" and thought that was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. But I'm here to tell you that it happens. In 21 years I have never felt like this before about an election. And with that said, it is probably a wonderful thing that I wasn't alive during the 1952 and 1956 presidential elections and wasn't around during the first two races of Richard Stallings.

2 comments:

Nick Speth said...

I'm sorry about all that. Unfortunately those are sometimes the breaks. Just be happy that overall the general election later this year is likely to go very much in your party's favor nationwide.

Tara A. Rowe said...

Thanks, Nick.