Saturday, May 20, 2006

Smorgasbord Saturday

Despite the fact that my face and portions of my arms are now bright red, it has been a wonderful Saturday.

First of all, this morning I turned on BookTV on CSPAN 2 to find John Updike giving a speech to the Bookexpo America Convention. I love Updike. Along with Updike was Barack Obama. What a lovely way to start a Saturday.

For those of you who missed it, today at Ross Park there was a "Turn Idaho Purple" rally with Lt. Governor hopeful and former Congressman Larry LaRocco. Many other candidates turned out including Bert Marley, Allen Andersen, James Ruchti, Larry Ghan, and Lin Whitworth. The mayor of American Falls was there as was DC Power, an American Falls based band that played old classic rock covers. It was a great time, despite the sunburn.

Next on the agenda for today were the HP Week events in Old Town Pocatello. Recently I was appointed by Mayor Chase to serve on the Historic Preservation Commission for the City of Pocatello, something I have enjoyed. Today as we celebrated Historic Preservation Week I had the wonderful opportunity of sitting down and talking to Chick Bilyeu. Now, there aren't too many people I think more of than the Bilyeus. They truly are remarkable individuals who have done wonderful things for this community. As I was talking to Chick today, I realized how proud I am to be a student at Idaho State University. My only wish is that Chick could have been my Speech teacher.

I'm in the process of clearing off the bulletin board and white board today. I decided I no longer need the list of congressional races and the votes for the 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, and 1990 elections and the 1992 Senate race of Richard Stallings. It's slightly surreal that I am finished with that project. Time to move on to something else, I suppose. It's a very good thing I'm in summer school.

There will be another reminder before Tuesday, but please remember to vote in the primary election Tuesday, May 23rd.

No comments :