Thursday, July 13, 2006

Middle of the Week Mélange

Having failed to mention that I was going out of town, I post tonight from Boise, Idaho. Yes, I took a vacation. Sort of...

I sit here with my computer at hand, a stack of books on the bed, and numerous tasks to complete before I return to Pocatello. But, the point is I am not in Pocatello. And let me just say I am very happy about that. Everyone needs to get out of town now and again. Given the summer I've had I am truly surprised this is my first trip away for just my own sake.

Tonight I got caught up on Uncle Orson Review's Everything. Boy, Orson Scott Card knows what he is talking about. In one of his latest reviews he mentioned both the movie Click with Adam Sandler and the charming Sandra Bullock/Keanu Reeves team-up The Lake House. Having seen both I was impressed with his analysis of the films and agreed with him completely. Some would say that the latter flick was unrealistic, but I found it enchanting. Sometimes I just want to go to a movie where I can sit back and know that none of what is happening on screen could happen in real life (for example flicks like Syriana are far too realistic for me) and none of what is happening on screen is going to bother me for days afterward (i.e. Million Dollar Baby). Check out Orson's reviews...the link is on the sidebar, of course.

For those of you who missed the All Star Game, the American League won yet again--ugh! National League fans are fed up with the decade long trend, but what can ya do? The only thing keeping me from utter disappointment right now with the Braves not performing as well as usual is the fact that underdog teams are doing fairly well--for example the Mets and the Tigers. If the Mets weren't in the same division as the Braves they could very well be my favorite. Or anyone could be for that matter. That division only has one team I cannot stand, the Florida Marlins. Otherwise who wouldn't just love for the Braves, Nationals, Phillies or Mets to win?

In Boise today I had two pretty interesting adventures--first has more to do with the trip up than actual Boise, but regardless, I listened to My Life by President Clinton. Well, listened to 3/4 of it. It is amazing and this is coming from someone kind of on the fence about President Clinton as a person and not entirely excited about his book as evidenced by how long it has taken me to get around to reading the thing. However resistant I had been, it is truly a wonderful book. After 5 minutes I was hooked and had heard what I needed to hear. The second thing regarding the trip (and only slightly more nerdy than the first) was my afternoon trip to the State Historical Society. The library is truly amazing! Who wouldn't want to be surrounded by Idaho History materials from wall to wall? Okay, not too many people, but I was in paradise!

The whole reason I find myself in Boise this evening is because tomorrow I will be attending some of the activities at Albertson College of Idaho put on by the Idaho Humanities Council for high school teachers. The summer conference is on the Lincoln administration and clearly my love for Lincoln is up there with my love for Kennedy. So here I am and quite happy about it even though there probably won't be any other students there!

So far I am enjoying my time away even in the midst of my computer and other school related responsibilities. I'm watching the Oakland/Boston game on ESPN (muted) as I listen to my new Joe Cocker CD. What more could a girl want?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

OSC was a 2004 Bush supporter, though he is/was a Democrat. I guess no one is perfect.

Jessica said...

It is time for you to admit-the American League is where it's at.

Tara A. Rowe said...

I could say something else about OSC that would put him in the less-than-perfect category, but I won't. And mind you he ripped on James Patterson not too long ago...

Nope, National League all the way!

Jessica said...

I wonder what you could say about OSC that would make him less than perfect?

Matt said...

hey whats new tara?