Saturday, July 1, 2006

Smorgasbord Saturday

Five posts. In the entire month of June I posted a total of five times. That has to be a record of sorts...a very sad record. Here we have July and I hope, in more ways than the simple number of times I post, it is nothing like the month of June. Had July began the day following June 7th, I would have been fine with that.

Yesterday I was driving home to Pocatello and I couldn't stop thinking of something Graham Green once wrote: "You can't conceive, nor can I, the appalling strangeness of the mercy of God." That one sentence seems to signify every feeling I am having right now. Let's just say that June was not a cake walk. For everyone's sake I hope to now focus on school, politics, and the summer baseball schedule.

Speaking of politics--this coming week with the Fourth of July offers several volunteer opportunities to get out and help local candidates. Parades, parades, and more parades. I know that our local candidates (at least those in District 29 and the county candidates) will be making appearances in Pocatello, Inkom, Arimo, and even Lava. Please make the effort if you're in town to help out these worthy candidates.

Lately trips down I-86 have been regular occurrences. Not by choice, but out of necessity I have driven that stretch of interstate more than my fair share of times in the last month. Just this last week I made a stop in American Falls. I have come to the conclusion that my lifelong confusion with the stretch of presidents of the United States from Jackson to Lincoln is the fault of the city of American Falls. Take for example Fort Hall Avenue: If you are driving up Fort Hall, you will pass Harrison (we can assume this street is named for William Henry Harrison, but given what you will encounter as you continue up Fort Hall, it may be Benjamin) and then you hit the intersection of Fort Hall and Idaho. I'm assuming that Idaho Street is similar to Main Street in Pocatello--sort of haphazardly thrown into a continuous stretch of presidential streets. Following Idaho you find Roosevelt. TR? It could be FDR depending on when these streets were named, but let's just say it is named for Teddy. Next street up is Tyler. Yes, Tyler. John Tyler the 10th President of the United States of America. Now, nine times out of ten I can remember that Van Buren comes after Andrew Jackson, but never can I remember if Tyler or Taylor comes before Polk. They're both members of the Whig party, right? And they had relatively short terms in office, though Tyler longer and served without a vice president. Tyler next to Roosevelt? And there is no McKinley in sight. I suppose I could ask the mayor of American Falls, Amy Winn, to explain this all to me. I also suppose the screwiness of the street naming may have something to do with the town being moved to allow for the building of American Falls Dam. Or I could just continue to blame American Falls for the confusion that plagues me regarding the order of the presidents following Andrew Jackson.

Clearly I have nothing incredibly important to say, but mark this date on your calendar as my return to the blog world.

1 comment:

Nick Speth said...

LOL! Ogden Utah is the same way. It's actually perfectly in order from Washington up to Harrison, with the exception of there's only one Adams and I've never seen a Van Buren. I had a thing on Lincoln once and I figured, it must be up above Harrison, right? Wrong. It seems Lincoln was president before Washington, because Lincoln comes before washington in Ogden.