Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Welcome, Dr. Arthur Vailas!

Today I had the unique opportunity of spending a day on the Idaho State University campus. What's do unique about spending a day at my home away from home? Today the university as well as Pocatello community welcomed Idaho State University's new president, Dr. Arthur Vailas.

Refreshing. I think that is the best word I can use to describe President Vailas. And if refreshing describes Dr. Vailas, in one word let me describe to you the state of the student population--enthusiastic.

This afternoon, as a student leader representing the ASISU Senate, I had the opportunity to sit down with Dr. Vailas at for lunch to hear his plan for interaction with the student leadership. The ASISU executive cabinet, made up of 8 students, left that conference room so excited for the future of Idaho State University. Each of us had a smile on our faces and we were pleasantly surprised and more than pleased with our new president's first day on the job.

What stands out to me as the single most important sentence of the new president's general assembly address this morning is this: "You always want to build upon your strengths because they will yield success and success will beget success."

Clearly this is a new chapter in Idaho education and as a student, I could not be more excited. To read President Vailas' general assembly speech please visit this link.

No comments :