Wednesday, August 9, 2006

An Affair to Remember

**Editor's Note: For those who care to know it was on this day in history that the 37th President of the United States left the oval office. Long live the memory of Tricky Dick!

I have loved Senator Joe Lieberman since I was seven years old. Yes, seven. For fourteen years I have supported Lieberman's candidacy for the U.S. Senate, Vice Presidency, and Presidency, but today I have to say is the end of the road for me. I can no longer support Joe Lieberman.

As Johnson once said about losing Cronkite in regard to support for Vietnam, we could logically say if Lieberman has lost me he has lost the American public...maybe. Actually, I don't see any reason why a large number of Connecticut Republicans couldn't vote for Lieberman and a large number of faithful Lieberman supporters (including Dodd) couldn't continue their support of Lieberman, thus splitting the ticket quite evenly between the Republican nominee, Democratic nominee, and the now Independent candidate Lieberman.

Regardless, Lieberman has lost one loyal and nearly lifelong supporter today--me. If I could ask him just one question I would ask how he can support unjustified war where brutality is reality and death an hourly occurrence, but he put his foot down when it came to kids in their own homes playing those virtual games that killed people just as graphically? And if I could say to him that he is no Jim Jeffords or Bernie Sanders, I would.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I can't stand Joe Lieberman now and I haven't really cared for him the last few years.