Tuesday, August 15, 2006

World Trade Center

It isn't often that I become engrossed in the idea of seeing a movie. I saw Ray the first night it was in Pocatello, but other than that one film I'm not sure I've seen any others the first night they were out (in Pocatello or elsewhere). I've seen several within the week--most recently Batman Begins and Million Dollar Baby which are both Morgan Freeman flicks as far as I am concerned and need no explanation as to why I just had to see them. Generally however, my philosophy is why not wait until it is on DVD and you can take it home and watch it in your pajamas eating whatever you want to with the benefit of the pause button?

This time the movie that has me engrossed is World Trade Center. The difference is, the movie was out last week and I haven't seen it. Why? Oliver Stone.

I have in the past explained my fascination with Stone and have been a fan of his work, but the one picture of his that I have seen more than any other is JFK. When I watch the film everytime in the trial when Jim Garrison has the jury watch the Zapruder film I flinch when Kennedy is shot and ultimately end up with a few tears rolling down my cheek. When Garrison gives his closing argument I get goosebumbs and those tears come back. Yes, nerdy, but as I think about it and reflect on my own reaction, I can't fathom the reaction a person who actually lived through the Kennedy assassination would have to something that graphic on screen.

My intimate knowledge of the emotion behind Stone's filmmaking is what keeps me from seeing this latest film about two survivors of 9/11, their stories, and their families. I was alive for 9/11. I can remember clearly that morning. Walking to the bus stop, not watching CNN before school for the first time in years, going to art class and watching as the second tower fell. I fear the emotions that Stone might bring with his brilliant film making. This isn't like the distance between myself and Jim Garrison--here is a situation that I lived through, watching carefully, and wondering what would come in the days that followed 9/11.

Before I had always found it silly that there were so many assumed connections between the memories of 9/11, the Kennedy assassination, and Pearl Harbor. Oliver Stone has made me think otherwise.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I have very little desire to see this movie. I think it has something to do with Republicans using 911 as much as possible and I just get turned off by anything 911 because someone somehow turns it into a GWB love fest. Except Fahrenheit 911, of course.

Jessica said...

Well, I saw this movie and it was pretty good.